My long standing research area is comparative criminal justice. It considers why arrangements are different in different places and what we can learn from each other. More specifically I look at prisons abroad. I have written about the nature of prisons in Norway, Iceland and the Netherlands.
My latest project involved spending a week in two prisons in Iceland as a 'quasi prisoner' in order to study their culture from within and to find out what other countries could learn from them.
I am from the Netherlands and came to the UK in 1998.
- Comparative Criminal Justice
- Criminal Justice in the Netherlands
- Psychology and Criminal Justice
- Criminal Justice and Mental Health
- Prisons in the Nordic countries, in particular Norway and Iceland