Professor Francis Pakes
My long standing research area is comparative criminal justice. It considers why arrangements are different in different places and what we can learn from each other. More specifically I look at prisons abroad. I have written about the nature of prisons in Norway, Iceland and the Netherlands.
My latest project involved spending a week in two prisons in Iceland as a 'quasi prisoner' in order to study their culture from within and to find out what other countries could learn from them.
I am from the Netherlands and came to the UK in 1998.
- Comparative Criminal Justice
- Criminal Justice in the Netherlands
- Psychology and Criminal Justice
- Criminal Justice and Mental Health
- Prisons in the Nordic countries, in particular Norway and Iceland