Room 2.07b Burnaby Building, Burnaby Road, Portsmouth, PO1 3QL
Tel: +44 (0) 2392 84 2453
I am a senior lecturer in hydrogeology. Following BSc and MSc degrees in Geology (Dhaka, 1996–2001), I completed a PhD in hydrogeology as a Commonwealth Scholar at UCL (2006–2010). I joined the University of Portsmouth in 2016, having previously worked as a post-doctoral researcher at University College London and at Imperial College London. Before moving to the UK, I was engaged in university teaching at Shahjalal University of Science & Technology and research at the University of Dhaka in Bangladesh.
I lead hydrogeology and geoenvironmental research at Portsmouth where the ambition is to reduce human exposure to contaminants related to geo-environmental hazards, climate change, and anthropogenic land degradation. I am engaged in NERC and NIHR grant-funded research projects, and I supervise three fully-sponsored PhD students.
I am an editorial board member of three peer-reviewed journals. I am the author/co-author of over 40 peer-reviewed journal papers, including those published in Nature Geoscience, PNAS, Environmental Health Perspectives, and Water Resources Research, and have received over 3000 citations.
- PhD in Hydrogeology, University College London, 2010
- PGDip in Water Resources Development, Bangladesh University of Engineering Technology, 2004
- MSc in Geology, University of Dhaka, 2001
- BSc (Hons.) in Geology, University of Dhaka, 1999
- 2016 – present, Senior/Lecturer in Hydrogeology, University of Portsmouth, UK
- 2013 - 2016, Research Associate, Imperial College London, UK
- 2010 - 2013, Research Associate, University College London, UK
- 2004 – 2011 Lecturer / Assistant Professor, Shahjalal University of Science Technology, Bangladesh
- 2001 – 2004, Research Assistant, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
Broadly hydrogeology and environmental geoscience. I utilise a variety of hydrology approaches in the context of environmental geoscience, where water is not only a resource but an agent transporting contaminants and modulating their fate in the environment. My current focus encompasses:
- Contaminant hydrogeology and arsenic in the environment
- Climate change, salinisation and human health in deltas
- Geoenvironmental risk intelligence and land contamination
- Drinking water constituents and medical hydrogeology
- Water (quantity& quality) and sustainable development in developing countries
UG: Hydrology and Geoenvironmental Risk (M31644 & M30017); PG: Groundwater Protection (M20138 & M20126) and Contaminated Land Assessment & Remediation (M20136); and Contribute to Environmental fieldwork & professional skills, and student research projects (both at UG and PG levels).