I am marine biogeochemist with a research emphasis in nutrient dynamics and maintenance of primary production. Over the course of my career to date I have been involved with examining nutrient sources and cycling in both the shelf seas and oligotrophic ocean with expertise in both pelagic and benthic systems. At present my research efforts include utilising biological molecular techniques to answer large scale ecosystem questions regarding microbial nutrient acquisition and maintenance strategies in nutrient limited regions.
- Nutrient and carbon cycling in the shelf-sea benthic environment; impacts of resuspension
- Nutrients in the sub-tropical pelagic ocean; sources, cycling and sinks
- Nutrient and metal limitations of marine microbes
- Diazotrophy; chemical forcing responsible for their distribution and extent
- Importance of organics in the marine environment and their potential as a nutrient source