Small Business Charter accreditation
Read about our Small Business Charter accreditation
The Small Business Charter (SBC) is awarded to business schools in the UK that offer world-class support to students and local businesses.
Portsmouth Business School has held the award since 2015. In 2021 we were awarded the accreditation for another 5 years. We’re one of only 33 business schools across the UK and Ireland who hold this award.
To get this accreditation we have to show our expertise, activity and impact in 3 key areas:
- Support for the growth of small businesses
- Stakeholder engagement to support growth in the region
- Encouraging student enterprise and entrepreneurship
Our Small Business Charter demonstrates our dedication to entrepreneurship and enterprise. The assessors highlighted several strengths, including our cross-working with colleagues across the University for the benefit of our students.
As a student here you’ll benefit from:
- Our proactive student start-up support
- Free help and guidance from our Entrepreneurs in Residence
- Talks, events and placements with local businesses
- Courses that focus on the skills we know employers are looking for
Local business impact
Over the last 2 years we've engaged with over 500 small businesses, through initiatives such as our COVID-19 recovery leadership scheme and our Female Entrepreneurs Network.
We're part of the local business ecosystem, working with other key stakeholders in the region such as Hampshire Chamber of Commerce, the Solent LEP and Portsmouth City Council.
As a local business you could benefit from:
- The expertise of our SME Business Unit
- Opportunities to engage with our talented students
- Programmes, networks and events designed to support your needs
- Coworking and office space at Innovation Connect
If you’re part of a small business and you're interested in working with us, please get in touch by emailing email@example.com
The work of the University and the Business School is greatly enhanced through our engagement with the business community contributing to our broader range of academic activities, including the development of student entrepreneurial skills and in the support and development of wider economic and social opportunities for business.