Two female students in Old Portsmouth, resting on railing

Questions about Inbound Exchanges?

We've got the answers you need.

Study Exchanges to Portsmouth

How do I apply?

To be considered for our exchange programme, the academic department of your home institution needs to hold an agreement with the same academic department and subject area at the University of Portsmouth. You can check if your school or department has a link with us for your subject area, by either contacting your university’s International Office or by searching our list of partner universities.

If your department has an exchange link with us, your home Academic Coordinator will be able to advise you what to do next. If your home institution approves your application to apply for exchange to Portsmouth, they'll inform us that you've been nominated to participate, at which point, we'll email you the exact details on how to apply online.

Please note, you won't choose your modules to study at this stage of your application – but you will have plenty of time to decide what modules you want to study before you get to Portsmouth. We recommended that you complete your choice of modules as soon as possible though, before they fill up.

Once you've submitted your application, we'll review it, and we'll email you an official acceptance if your application is accepted. 

If you have any questions about how to apply, please email:

How do my grades in Portsmouth affect my degree mark at home?

Our programmes use the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation system (ECTS), a framework that translates the work you'll complete while studying with us into credits for your course at home, by assessing how well you've achieved specific learning and competency objectives.

As an example, if you complete a full academic year, you'll get 120 UK credits, with 2 UK credits equalling 1 ECTS credit.

The ECTS equivalency of available modules can be found in our module lists. If you still have any queries about the ECTS , please email

I need to provide English language proficiency evidence – what is the minimum English language requirement?

Most of our exchange agreements carry a minimum language requirement of CEFR Level B2 in English, which is the equivalent of an IELTS Band 6.0 score.  Full details can be found on our English language requirements page. If you're not sure whether you meet the requirement, your university's exchange coordinator can advise further before applying, or you can email us at

I received a conditional offer – what’s next?

You must respond whether you accept the offer and meet all the conditions. You can upload any requested documentation on your Applicant Portal. If you are unable to do so, please email

I received an unconditional offer – what’s next?

This means you have met all the conditions and fully accepted onto the course. The appropriate visa supporting letter will then be issued to you. Depending on the type of visa, you will be receiving.

I have a question about accommodation – who can I contact?

You can find all the information, including contact details, on our Accommodation pages. 

Travel and Health insurance

You must obtain and ensure you have comprehensive travel and medical insurance with comprehensive sickness cover before you travel to the UK. More information please visit the UKCISA Health and Healthcare webpage. 

How do I get a visa?

If you will be studying with us on an Exchange or Study Abroad programme, you will need a visa. Please visit the visa advice page for Exchange and Study Abroad students.

My university doesn't have a partnership with the University of Portsmouth – can I still study with you?

Yes, you can still join us on our Study Abroad programme that still enables you to study with us for one term or full academic year and gain that international experience.

My university has a partnership with the University of Portsmouth but not in my subject area – can I still apply?

Yes, you can! Although you might not be able to study as an exchange student, we welcome applications for our Study Abroad programme through our partnership network too.

I have another question about the exchange programme at Portsmouth. Who do I contact?

Please email our Exchanges and Study Abroad Team, who'll be happy to help you.