A group of male and female students in conversation

The Study Abroad programme

Study at a TEF Gold University for a half or full academic year on England’s south coast

Are you an undergraduate at a university outside the UK that doesn't have an exchange agreement with the University of Portsmouth? The Study Abroad programme gives you the chance to study with us for one term or a full academic year.

As a Study Abroad student, you'll have the opportunity to choose modules from across all five of our faculties that best corresponds with your current studies – either Business and Law, Science and Health, Humanities and Social Sciences, Creative and Cultural Industries, or Technology.

To join us for Autumn 2021 entry (for either a full year or 1 term), you need to get your application to us by August 2021. 

You'll pay tuition fees for the duration of your stay. You can expect to pay £6,250 for one term, or £12,500 for a full academic year. If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss national or an EU national with settled status in the UK, the Transition Scholarship is applied to your tuition fees so you pay the same amount as a UK student (£4,625 for one term, £9,250 for a full academic year).

Once you receive an offer to study with us, you'll need to pay a £2,000 deposit to confirm your place. This deposit will count towards your tuition fees.

We also offer some opportunities to join the Study Abroad programme at postgraduate level – if you're a postgraduate student who is interested in studying here, please email studyabroad@port.ac.uk for more information.

You'll study in classes, go to lectures, seminars and tutorial classes with our other full-time students, and gain invaluable first-hand experience of studying in a different academic environment.

Your home university will have to approve your Study Abroad period to Portsmouth, but assuming they do, at the end of your studies, you'll receive a transcript that shows the academic credits you've gained with us, which can be transferred back to your home institution.

To find out more about how to apply, our entry requirements, our modules catalogue, our application deadlines and more, read our frequently asked questions below – or if you're ready to take your interest further,  email us at studyabroad@port.ac.uk.

I want to study in Portsmouth – what are my next steps?

If you’re interested in studying in Portsmouth as an undergraduate, the first thing to do is to email us at studyabroad@port.ac.uk. Our Exchanges and Study Abroad team will get back to you, and together you can begin planning your overseas adventure. They can answer any other questions you might have about what the Study Abroad Programme involves.

Before you contact us, you can take a look at the modules you could study as part of your course in Portsmouth, at our Choose what you'll study page. If you're interested in applying at Master's level, you can email studyabroad@port.ac.uk for more information.

Transition Scholarship for EU Study Abroad students

If you're an EU, EEA or Swiss national student, the Transition Scholarship is applied to your tuition fees so you pay the same amount as a UK student. 

Frequently asked questions about the Study Abroad programme

How do I apply?

When you apply to come to Portsmouth on a 'Study Abroad' programme, you'll choose to study in whichever of our 5 faculties – Business and Law, Science, Humanities and Social Sciences, Creative and Cultural Industries or Technology – best corresponds to your current studies.

There are 2 times in the year when you can join the programme; Autumn (1 term or full year) or Spring (1 term only).

As part of your online application, you'll need to submit the following supporting evidence:

  • An academic transcript and one reference from your home university
  • A copy of ID card/passport
  • Evidence of English language proficiency (if required; this can also be provided at a later stage) 

How do my grades in Portsmouth affect my degree mark at home?

You can transfer the credits you gain while you study on the 'Study Abroad' programme so they count towards your degree at your home university. How these credits are transferred depends on where your university is based, so please speak to your Study Abroad Office coordinator for more information.

What are the English language requirements for the Study Abroad programme?

Minimum English language level (for students whose first language is not English) is IELTS 6.0 or equivalent, with no component less than 5.5. A few subject areas require IELTS 6.5 with no component less than 6.0. More information on alternative English language tests that we are currently accepting is available on our English Language Requirements page.

Do I need a Visa to do the 'Study Abroad' programme?

You will need a visa to study in the UK on the Study Abroad programme. The UK Government introduced a new points-based immigration system on 5 October 2020. The system now includes a new ‘Student Route’ for international students. For more information about the new ‘Student Route’ please visit our visa advice pages.

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close