Applying from Tanzania?
Here's all the information you need to study with us
If you’re from Tanzania and interested in studying in the UK, the University of Portsmouth is a great place to fulfil your ambitions. And if you’re ready to take the next step, we’re ready to help you get here.
On this page, you'll find information about where you can meet us in your region, what you need to do to apply for a course with us and contact details for our people in your area.
Entry requirements for students from Tanzania
If you're joining us from Tanzania, the entry requirements you need to meet will depend on the course you want to study.
We consider all applications we receive. However, to make sure you get the most out of your time studying with us and have the best chance of applying successfully, we recommend the following minimum qualifications:
If you have the East African Certificate of Education (EACE) or the Cambridge Overseas School Certificate (COSC) with Credit in a minimum in 5 subjects including English and Maths, you'll usually need to do a foundation year before doing an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree.
We recommend you take a foundation course at our associated college International College Portsmouth (ICP).
We'll consider you for admission onto an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree, if you have the following:
- A minimum of 3 subjects equivalent to A-Levels in the East African Advanced Certificate of Education (EAACE) or in the Cambridge Overseas Higher School Certificate (COHSC) or
A minimum of 'C' credit overall in:
- Diploma / Ordinary Diploma / Ordinary Technician Diploma
- University Diploma / Diploma
- National Form VI Examination
You must have studied relevant subjects and achieved strong grades.
You can also apply with:
- Please check your specific course page to find the exact number of points needed. Your A level grades should equal or exceed the total points required. You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to work out your total points.
- Some courses will require you to have studied specific subjects at A level. For example, to study a science course you will usually need to have achieved passing grades in scientific subjects at A level.
- A level points: A* = 56 A = 48 B = 40 C = 32 D = 24.
- Most courses will require between 24 and 31 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB), depending on the degree you apply for.
Advanced Diplomas from APTECH and Informatics.
If you have completed ADSE (APTECH) with Credit or achieved GPA of 2.0 (Informatics), you will be considered for final year (top-up) entry onto the following courses:
- BSc (Hons) Computing
- BSc (Hons) Computing and Digital Image
- BSc (Hons) Business Information Systems
- BSc (Hons) Web Technologies
- BSc (Hons) Computing and Society
- BSc (Hons) Computer Networks
- BSc (Hons) Computing and Information Systems (Distance Learning)
- BSc (Hons) Business Information Systems (Distance Learning)
If you achieved a minimum GPA of 3.5 or above at ADSE, you can be considered for final year (top-up) entry onto the following courses:
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science
- BSc (Hons) Software Engineering
- BSc (Hons) Forensic Computing
You may be able to join an undergraduate course with other qualifications. We do consider qualifications from a range of sources. Contact us to find out more.
For entry to our postgraduate Master's programmes, you'll usually need to have a Bachelor's degree from a recognised Higher Education institution.
Typical minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) requirements:
- From 2.8 on a scale of 1-4
- From 7 on a scale of 1-10
If you don't meet the postgraduate entry requirements, you can do a pre-Master's programme at International College Portsmouth (ICP) for many of our courses.
We'll consider you for a PhD if you have a good Master’s degree and submit a research proposal.
English language requirements
When you join us, it’s important that you can speak and understand English to the level that your course requires. The specific English language requirements will be on your chosen course page.
English Grade C in the East African Certificate of Education (EACE) or the Cambridge Overseas School Certificate (COSC) is accepted.
We accept a Grade C or above in First Language English or Home Language on the Tanzania Certificate of Secondary Education, IELTS, IGCSE and several other certificates, but don’t worry if you're currently short of the standard required – we offer English Language Programmes that will get you to the necessary level.
What to do next
Our Global Officers are experts in helping students from Tanzania, like you, to apply to join us. Whatever you want to know, just ask.
Scholarships and Bursaries
As a student from Tanzania, you may be eligible for a scholarship. You can find out what is available to you on our funding pages.
Representatives and agents
If you want to learn more about studying with us or you want help with your application, contact one of our official representatives in Tanzania:
Agents in Tanzania
Global Education Placement
5th Floor, Raha Towers,
34 Bibi Titi Mohammed RD/Azikiwe St
Tel: (+255) 753 677 157
Study Beyond Borders
Plot #1820 Toure Drive
Golden Tulip Hotel
PO Box: 23134
Harbour View Towers (formerly J M Mall)
Girl Guides Building, next to Shaaban Robert School
(Front) Magore Rd / Back (Kibasila Rd)
Oil Com Petrol Station Building
Nyerere / Chang'ombe Road
PO Box 40163
Events in Tanzania
We don't have any current events planned in Tanzania, but we do plan regular events so check back here often for more information.
You can also contact us, or speak to an agent in your region for more assistance.