Applied Clinical Exercise Science
PhDs and postgraduate research
Self-funded PhD students only
School of Sport, Health and Exercise Science
October and February
Applications accepted all year round
On this self-funded PhD programme you can choose to investigate the effect of fitness assessment and exercise training interventions on long term conditions to enhance people's health and quality of life.
You could take your research in various directions, such as exploring the impact of fitness assessment and exercise training before, during or after cancer treatment, for patients with cardiac, pulmonary and diabetes conditions or exercise interventions for older people.
Your project will be supervised by Dr Andy Scott, Course Leader for MSc Clinical Exercise Science.
Your research project could examine:
- the optimisation of exercise to enhance post-operative outcomes;
- optimal exercise training, to enhance health for patients with type II diabetes with varying phenotype
- models of best practice and areas requiring optimisation in community exercise referral services, possibly with an emphasis on a specific referred medical condition;
- exercise provision for patients, such as increasing PA in patients with chronic heart failure; increasing PA in DESMOND attendees; enhancing exercise in COPD, or facilitating graduation from phase 3 to phase 4 in people treated for cardiovascular disease
This aim of this project is to investigate the optimisation of clinical exercise physiology and related services to enhance health outcomes and quality of life.
Such projects may involve patient groups or apparently healthy participants for pilot study purposes.
- A good first degree from an internationally recognised university (depending on the course, minimum second class or equivalent) or a Master’s degree in an appropriate subject
- Exceptionally, equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications will be considered
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0
- All applicants are subject to interview
Make an enquiry
How to Apply
To apply, get in touch with the PhD Supervisor for this programme, Dr Andy Scott (email@example.com), quoting the project code SPES4651019.
When you are ready to apply, you can use our online application form. Make sure you submit a personal statement, proof of your degrees and grades, details of two referees, proof of your English language proficiency and an up-to-date CV.