Concrete is the most widely-used construction material in the world.
Reliable, durable and versatile, it can endure for centuries and is sustainable when both the energy consumed during its manufacture and its inherent properties in-use are taken into account.
In our Concrete Laboratory, students and researchers design, mix and test concrete mixes. All stages of the concrete production process can be observed and recorded using a built-in camera system which streams live video to a screen in the lab.
Students use the lab on courses including BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering, BEng (Hons) Construction Engineering Management, BSc (Hons) Building Surveying and BEng (Hons) Engineering Geology and Geotechnics.
- Concrete and mortar mixers
- Vibrating table, often used to reduce the trapped bubbles when making concrete moulds or castings
- Curing tank, ovens, refrigerator and freezer for conditioning specimens
- 2000 kN compression testing machine
- Saw and polisher for specimen finishing prior to testing