Open Access Suite
Our Digital Studios are the central IT study space at the Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries.
You have access to computers equipped with key digital media, plus design and animation software used in the creative industries such as Adobe apps and services, Maya and 3D Studio Max.
The suite also features setups for animation students to digitally draw by hand, plotter and sublimation machines, and a series of printers for student work.
It's also home to our games labs. Split across 2 rooms, these labs are dedicated areas for our computer games students to develop, run and test their creations.
Equipment and rooms
The open access studio has the following equipment:
- More than 65 computers with software including Adobe Creative Cloud, Maya, 3D Studio Max, ZBrush and Avid Media Composer
- Access to Oculus Rift S & Oculus Quest — for the preparation and testing of VR projects
- A rostrum setup
- Many Wacom graphics tablets and screens
- 8 printers — including 5 large format printers to print works to scale on standard and photo paper, film and vinyl
- Vinyl plotter — to precisely cut vinyl using digital software
- Dye sublimation machines — to transfer images onto synthetic materials like plastic, paper and card
- Risograph machine — for sustainable stencil printing using soy-based inks
- Paper trimmer — for sizing materials before and after image transfers
- Large format and small format scanners
Our 2 games labs have 20 PCs installed with game design and development software including the Unreal Engine, Unity Pro and Visual Studio.
We also have 10 PS4 dev kits for students to use with specialist server space and access to the PlayStation game development environment.
Students must sign a licence agreement with Sony before they can begin using the PS4 dev kits.