Future Technology Centre
The Future Technology Centre (FTC) offers our students, researchers and partners a collaborative and practical learning environment – with open spaces to run experiments, debate and explore ideas about how the latest technology can help improve society.
Opened in January 2018, the Centre gives students and researchers room to model and build prototypes using additive manufacturing machines, and test them out in our advanced testing and imaging facility. We also have networking and conference spaces available for research and business purposes.
Spanning 5 floors, the Future Technology Centre has achieved the BREEAM 'Excellent' rating for environmental sustainability from the National Building Specification. Our low thermal emissions building features green solar cells set in laminated glass to passively ventilate heat in the summer, while still warming the building in the winter and producing locally-generated power year round.
Equipment and rooms
Additive Manufacturing and X-ray Microscopy Laboratories – our additive manufacturing lab is equipped with high resolution metal and polymer 3D printing to manufacture 3D models. Our x-ray microscopy machines are able to recreate virtual models of 3D objects at a sub-micron level without destroying the original – part of a strategic collaboration with Zeiss.
- 10 smartboard screens split across two learning pods, each with 40 seats – so students can work in a collaborative space on the same worksheet
- Central lecturing control panel –for lecturers to direct smartboard screens and still have the freedom to move between pods and groups during their lessons
- Breakout space – featuring soft couches with built-in power sockets as a more comfortable alternative for students
- 90 loan laptop lockers – for students to use in class and study
- 10 smartboard screens distributed around 10 tables fitting 8 people each – to simulate project management meetings including designed project lead
- Central lecturing control panel – for lecturers to direct smartboard screens and still have the freedom to move between pods and groups during their lessons
- 60 loan laptop lockers – for students to use in class and study
- 51 computers – with software including Visual Studio available for student use
- 2 smartboards – to help student-lead group work
- Breakout spaces – featuring soft couches with built-in power sockets as a more comfortable alternative for students
- Open plan meeting room with video wall – for outreach, client and partner meetings and presenting large scale projects and exhibitions
- Separate conference room – for phone and Skype meetings in a more private setting
- Full kitchen and catering – offering clients, partners and staff quality food and drinks in an arms length of our meeting rooms