The place to realise your creative concepts
Location: Eldon Building
Our photography studios and darkrooms provide you with the technical facilities to realise your creative ideas and produce images using high-end professional equipment.
You can apply traditional and digital techniques—in black and white and in colour—and develop, scan, and print your photographs.
You'll use the skills you learn in our photography studios and darkrooms in a range of careers such as professional photography, image production and editing, printing, art direction, and teaching.
Explore our photography studios and darkrooms
Equipment and amenities
- Three photographic studios, fully equipped with a range of flash and tungsten lighting, coloured backdrops and lighting accessories
- Our iMac computers allow you to connect digital cameras and manipulate your images using industry-leading photo editing software
- Black and white darkroom for printing up to 20x16 inches, with a range of enlargers, which enable printing from negatives up to 5x7 inches in size
- Image editing lab with calibrated display monitors connected to Mac and PCs, several Epson desktop inkjet printers with output size up to A2, and four high-end Hasselblad X5 virtual drum scanners that scan negatives and transparencies of up to 5x4 inches
- Large-format printing space with an Epson SureColor P9000 44-inch inkjet printer; technical staff provide an online printing service for students similar to a commercial lab
- Photography loan store, where you can reserve equipment via online booking; cameras from Canon, Hasselblad, Fuji, and Nikon ranges are available in compact, full frame and digital medium formats
- Black and white film processing lab, where you’ll learn processing techniques for film from 35mm up to 5x4 inches in size using our darkroom or scanners; staff provide an in-house colour processing service for negative and slide film
- Print preparation service, where you can produce work for exhibition on materials such as medium-density fibreboard and foam board
- Adobe Creative Cloud software installed on all computers, as well as other professional-level photo editing applications, including Capture One
- Full-time technical support and specialist help in areas such as traditional film processing, digital image editing and printing – technicians also deliver workshops and one-to-one technical support