Photography Studios and Darkrooms
Our Photography Studios and Darkrooms provide you with the technical facilities to realise your creative ideas and produce images using high-end professional equipment.
You can apply traditional and digital techniques, in black and white and in colour, and develop, scan and print your photographs.
The studios and darkrooms are used by our BA (Hons), MA, MRes and PhD students of photography and other creative subjects. The facilities, equipment and printing services are available to all students in the Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries.
You'll use the skills you learn in our Photography Studios and Darkrooms in a range of careers such as photography, picture editing, printing, art direction and teaching.
Rooms and equipment
- 3 photographic studios, fully equipped with a range of flash and tungsten lighting, coloured backdrops and lighting accessories. Our iMac computers allow you to connect digital cameras and manipulate your images using photo editing software
- Black and white darkroom for printing up to 20x24 inches, with a range of enlargers, which enable printing from negatives up to 5x7 inches in size
- Colour darkroom with 8 colour enlargers and a 24-inch film processing machine that can also print up to 5x7 negatives
- Digital darkroom with 5 calibrated display monitors connected to Mac mini computers, several Epson desktop inkjet printers with output size up to A2, and 4 high-end Hasselblad X5 virtual drum scanners that scan negatives and transparencies of up to 5x4 inches
- Large-format printing space with an Epson SureColor P9000 44-inch inkjet printer. Technical staff provide a printing service for students similar to a commercial lab
- Photography loan store, where you can reserve equipment via online booking. Cameras from the Canon, Hasselblad, Fuji and Nikon ranges are available in compact, full frame and digital medium formats
- Black and white film processing lab, where you’ll learn processing techniques for film from 35mm up to 5x4 inches in size using our darkroom or scanners. Staff provide a processing service for colour and slide/transparency film
- Mounting area, where you can prepare your work for exhibition on materials such as medium-density fibreboard and foam board
- All computers are equipped with Adobe Creative Cloud software and other professional-level photo editing applications including Capture One
- 3 staff members provide full-time technical support and specialist help in areas such as traditional film processing, digital image editing and printing