Our Screening Room is an 80-seat lecture theatre, equipped with high-specification audio-visual technology. Our students can book the room to show their films on the large screen or practise presentations. We also use the room to host learning and cultural activities and events for our students, partner organisations and the local community.
During our annual Graduate Show, final year BA (Hons) Film Production students present their films in the Screening Room before they appear at the British Film Academy in London. The Graduate Show, which is free and open to everyone, showcases the diverse skills of students in our Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries.
Our students' films have gained significant recognition. Fantasy drama 'A Place For Everything' was shown at several UK film festivals, nominated for a Royal Television Society Award and won multiple awards including The Hampshire Prize at the 2017 Winchester Short Film Festival. The 2018 short film 'Here Be Dragons' was nominated for a Royal Television Society Award.
The Portsmouth Film Society uses the Screening Room for weekly showings of classic, independent, animated, archive and documentary films. These events are open to members of the local community who join the society or are ticket holders. Students attend free of charge.
The Screening Room is equipped with high-specification audio-visual technology, including:
- High-definition NEC lamp projector
- 6-metre projection screen
- Personal computer and separate Blu-ray/DVD player
- An Extron 5.1 surround sound processing system with Powersoft amplifiers for each channel
- Front, mid and rear speakers, plus sub-woofers for bass frequencies, from Void Acoustics
- Wall-mounted acoustic panelling to reduce echo and improve clarity of sound and speech
- Visualiser for overhead projection onto the screen to illustrate lectures and presentations
- Crestron Touch Panel to select projection sources