Dr Scott Mahadeo
I am a Senior Lecturer in Macroeconomics at Portsmouth Business School. I have over a decade of experience teaching economics and related modules, across the undergraduate and postgraduate curricula. My research focuses on the changes in financial and macroeconomic relationships under alternative market conditions, especially during crises.
Before coming to the University of Portsmouth, I held academic positions at the Universities of Keele and the West Indies. I also had a stint in banking supervision at the Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago, where I obtained practitioner experience in the areas of anti-money laundering, credit risk assessment, and financial stability analysis.
- PhD Economics | University of Keele
- PGCert Higher Education Teaching | University of Keele
- MPhil Agricultural Economics | University of the West Indies
- MSc Economics and Econometrics | University of Nottingham
- BSc Economics | University of the West Indies
- Canadian Economics Association member
- Centre for Blue Governance member
- Centre for Innovative and Sustainable Finance member
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Royal Economic Society
I serve as the PhD Programme Lead for the Centre for Innovative and Sustainable Finance. I also regularly review for a number of international scholarly journals in the fields of economics, finance, and other related disciplines.
My research interests are in the areas of empirical macroeconomics and finance; energy economics; and small island developing states (SIDS). I have published articles in academic journals such as the Canadian Journal of Economics, Energy Economics, The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, and The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance. My work also features in The Conversation media outlet.
I welcome PhD applications, in my areas of interest, from suitably qualified candidates.
Current PhD students:
- K Stoner - energy economics (co-supervised with Prof L Hunt)
- Z Lamprakis - energy economics (co-supervised with Prof L Hunt and Dr P Kipouros)
I currently contribute to the following modules:
- M30870 Advanced Economics (level 6 - UG; macroeconomics lecturer)
- M20444 International Economics (level 5 - UG; module coordinator and open economy macroeconomics lecturer)
- M30871 Economics Research Project (level 6 - UG; supervisor)
- M20461 Development Economics (level 6 - UG; guest lecturer)
- M20472 MSc Research Methods and Dissertation (level 7 - PG; supervisor)
- M30887 Personal Development Planning for Economists (level 5 - UG; personal tutor)
- M30888 Personal Development Planning for Economists (level 6 - UG; personal tutor)
In the past, I have also coordinated and taught on the postgraduate module M25292 Economics. I am BMC certified and I provide Bloomberg terminal demonstrations on Open Days and Applicant Experience Days for the School of Accounting, Economics, and Finance.