Operated under an NHS contract and located in the University's Dental Academy, our dental practice is where our dental students can provide high-quality dental care to patients, for free, under the supervision of our qualified staff.
Our student dental teams are skilled at their work but operate slower than qualified professionals, so appointments can take longer than expected.
You can access our dental services if:
- You don't currently have a dentist
- You're available during the day for long appointments, typically around 1.5 hours
- You can come to multiple appointments
Treatments you can get as one of our patients:
- Fillings and preventative treatment
- Gum treatment
- Crowns and bridgework
- Root canal fillings
- Oral health promotion
Opening hours and contact information
The Dental Academy is open 8.30am – 5.00pm Monday to Thursday, and until 4.00pm on Fridays. We are closed on weekends.
You can contact the Dental Academy at 023 9284 5285.
We're continually improving our patient services. At the end of each course of treatment we encourage our patients to share their experiences with us. We ask our patients for their views and opinions through our patient satisfaction surveys, NHS Friends and Family Test (FFT), and our comments book to see where we can improve.
Patient comments and satisfaction ratings are collected and put together in bi-annual reports which are shared with all staff, students and NHS England. These reports can also be seen by patients and members of the public online and on display in our waiting area
Dental Services Privacy Notice
The Dental Academy is committed to using your personal data responsibly. Our Privacy Notice explains what personal data the practice holds, why we hold and process it, who we might share it with and your rights and freedoms under the Law.
For more information on your rights, read our Individual Rights Request form.
Information for GDPs
A minimum of one course of treatment and a maximum of two courses will be offered with the aim of leading to stabilisation of disease.
Details of the patient’s smoking history and current level of oral hygiene must be included on referral.
- Basic Periodontal Examination (BPE) scores of 2, 2*, 3, 3*, 4 or 4* in at least 2 sextants
- BPE scores of 1 or 1*
- patients requiring specialist periodontal care should be referred directly to a specialist periodontal care provider and not to the Dental Academy
- conventional endodontics on all teeth if appropriate (i.e. restorable or of strategic value to the restorative care of the patient)
- teeth requiring retreatment, removal of posts or apicectomy are outside the scope of treatment at the Dental Academy
- if the tooth is unrestorable, the patient will be referred back with extraction recommended
- extractions which are appropriate for primary care and do not require hospital facilities
- surgical or potential surgical extractions of 8s
- patients receiving bisphosphonate therapy/patients considered to be at high risk of developing bisphosphonate associated osteonecrosis of the jaw (BONJ)
- patients with a highly complex medical history or anatomy
- patients who are very anxious/require sedation
- Patients requiring one or more restorations which are appropriate for primary care
- Patient can tolerate treatment under local anaesthesia
- All referrals must have recent good quality intraoral radiographs (within last six months) of teeth requiring treatment
- Patients who are very anxious/require sedation
- Patients with special needs or complex medical history
- Orthodontic assessment or orthodontic extractions
- Patients requiring general anaesthesia extraction
How to refer a patient
Please refer patients using our GDP referral forms:
All referrals should be posted to:
Dental Academy Reception
William Beatty Building Hampshire Terrace
Your patients should be made aware that failure to attend appointments will result in discharge back to their GDP.
We close during student examinations and holidays. This may delay treatments and reduce the number of referrals we can accept at these times.
For dental students
- Christmas holiday: Monday 18 December 2023 – Friday 5 January 2024
- Easter holiday and exam period: Monday 4 March – Friday 12 April 2024
For hygiene and therapy students
- Christmas holiday: Monday 18 December 2023 – Friday 19 January 2024
- Easter holiday: Monday 1 April – Friday 19 April 2024
- Examination period: Monday 13 May – Friday 7 June 2024