Begin your career in science, psychology, sport science, geography or health
Discover the career benefits and opportunities of a science placement year
Add professional experience to your studies by doing a placement year on your science sandwich degree course.
We'll help you find the best placement for your studies and help with your application. We'll connect you with businesses who partner with us, such as multinational pharmaceutical companies, national health trusts, national sports clubs and schools across the UK.
Portsmouth quickly eliminated the fears I had of a non-vocational course. I've had various placement opportunities that I would not have dreamed of. In fact, one opportunity led to another since year one, and I have high hopes for the future.
Earth and environmental science placements
On our geography, earth and environmental science courses, you'll investigate how our planet formed, study natural processes and develop an understanding of environmental science and management. Our students go on to work in many sectors including geoscience specialisms environmental consultants, transport and town planners. You can do a sandwich year placement to apply your studies on many of our courses.
The type of sector you'll apply for depends on your interests within geography, earth and environmental sciences. Our previous students have performed roles in areas such as:
Environmental management and assessment
- GIS specialists
- Water supply and safety
- Waste treatment and disposal
- Conservation management
- Remediation of contaminated land
- Marine ecotoxicology
- Transport planning
- Town planning
- Land surveying
- Environment Agency
- Portsmouth Water
- Dalcour Maclaren
A psychology degree can lead to many exciting careers. The type of placement you’ll do depends on the career path you want, such as clinical psychology, forensic psychology, teaching or human resources.
Placement locations and roles
- Assistant psychologist at a medium secure unit (providing assessment, care and treatment for adults with serious mental illness)
- Assistant occupational psychologist at the world's largest information technology company
- Student clinical psychologist at assertive outreach teams in the NHS
- Teaching assistant a secondary school
- Student psychologist in an educational psychology team
- Business operations assistant at a leading global investment banking company
- Student clinical psychologist at an adult and young offenders prison
- Student researcher at a conservation centre in Malaysia
- Category industrial placement student at a global healthcare company
I spent my placement year as an HR Administrator. The placement was crucial in helping me understand what I wanted to do in life and also it was crucial to me getting a job after graduation. This experience really has been one of the best things the University has offered because it gives you the chance to explore the real world while having the safety of university if needed.
Sport, health and exercise science placements
Our sports science degrees can start your career in areas such as sports therapy, nutrition, personal training, coaching and research. Sports science placements give you the opportunity to experience roles in these areas and can help you decide your path after graduation.
Placement locations and roles
The type of role you’ll apply for depends on your interests in sport and exercise science.
On most courses, you'll get to choose your placement based on your career interests. On the MSc Clinical Exercise Science course, your placement will be arranged for you with NHS Hospital Trusts, Community Trusts, charitable organisations or local leisure services. You'll work in areas such as cardiac rehabilitation, pulmonary rehabilitation, exercise after stroke or cancer and falls prevention.
Previous sport, health and exercise science students have done placement roles including:
- Academy coach at Peterborough United FC
- Research assistants in the Department of Sport and Exercise Science
- Trainee physiotherapist
- Camp leader at Camp America
- Strength and conditioning coach at Watford FC
- Project worker at the Active Communities Network
- Physical education teaching assistant
- Performance analyst assistant at London Irish
- Basketball development manager in Tanzania
- Sports development officer
- Athletic union management support
- Event management assistants
- National Citizen Service (NCS) programme leader
- Self-employed as a personal trainer and sports masseuse
- Community projects intern at Pompey in the Community
- Director of coaching at Berkshire Elite Coaching
My placement year gave me experience of how biomechanics can be applied in the real world, improved my knowledge of biomechanics significantly and allowed me to develop as a person.
Health science and care professions placements
Our health and care professions courses prepare you for jobs such as pharmacist, nurse, social worker or radiographer. These course include compulsory placements to ensure you have the workplace experience you need to work in these roles after you graduate.
- Integrated NHS trusts such as Isle Of Wight NHS Trust
- Local authorities such as Hampshire County Council, Portsmouth City Council, Southampton City Council and Isle of Wight Council Public Health Department
- NHS ambulance trusts such as South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- NHS community trusts such as Solent NHS Trust, Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust and Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust
- NHS hospital trusts as Portsmouth Hospitals University NHS Trust, University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust, Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust and University Hospitals Southampton NHS Foundation Trust
- Private healthcare organisations such as BUPA, Care UK, Nuffield Health and Spire
- GP practices
- Advice and advocacy services
- Ambulances and emergency care settings
- Community healthcare settings
- Criminal justice settings
- Dental practices
- Drug and alcohol services
- GP practices
- Rehabilitation services
- Residential care settings
- Respite services
- Retail businesses
- Social services
- Special care dental services
Biological science placements
On our flexible biological science courses, you can do work-based placements that take a few weeks to a year. We have a network of partners from industries, government agencies, conservati on non-governmental organisations (NGOs), research institutions and national work placement schemes.
Previous biological science students have done placements at locations including:
Pharmacology and Biomedical Science placements
Students from these pathways can enter placements in a variety of areas in the pharmaceutical sector.
Previous students have done placements at locations including:
- GSK plc
- PCi Pharma Services
- ThermoFisher Scientific
Browse our courses
Are you ready to increase your employment opportunities and strengthen your skills by doing a sandwich year degree? Browse our placement degree courses now.
Work experience opportunities
As a Portsmouth student, you'll get lots of work experience opportunities to try out job roles, apply your skills to different sectors and increase your employability.
Discover the benefits of volunteering for a charity or not-for-profit whilst at university. Find a role that matches your interests and career ambitions.
Student startup advice
If you've got a passion for entrepreneurship and a great idea for a new business, we can help you get up and running.