On this page, you'll find information about where you can meet us in your region, what you need to do to apply for a course with us and contact details for our people in your area.
Entry requirements for students from Ghana
If you're joining us from Ghana, the entry requirements you need to meet will depend on the course you want to study.
We consider all applications we receive. However, to make sure you get the most out of your time studying with us and have the best chance of applying successfully, we recommend the following minimum qualifications:
You'll usually need to do a foundation year before doing an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree. We will consider your application if you have achieved minimum grades of 1-6 or A-D in 5 SSCE/WASSCE subjects (including mathematics and English language).
We recommend you take a foundation course at our associated college International College Portsmouth (ICP)
For entry onto an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree, you must have studied relevant subjects and achieved strong grades in either A levels or the International Baccalaureate.
- Please check your specific course page to find the exact number of points needed. Your A level grades should equal or exceed the total points required. You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to work out your total points.
- Some courses will require you to have studied specific subjects at A level. For example, to study a science course you will usually need to have achieved passing grades in scientific subjects at A level.
- A level points: A* = 56 A = 48 B = 40 C = 32 D = 24.
- Most courses will require between 24 and 31 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB), depending on the degree you apply for.
You may also be able to apply for relevant undergraduate degree programmes with an Ordinary National Diploma (OND).
If you have a High National Diploma (HND) or Higher Diploma you can apply for advanced entry onto a relevant undergraduate programme.
You may be also able to join an undergraduate course with other qualifications. We do consider qualifications from a range of sources. Contact us to find out more.
For entry to our postgraduate Master's programmes, you'll usually need to have a Bachelor’s degree from a recognised Higher Education institution.
Typical minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) requirements:
- UK 2.1 equivalent: 65%, or GPA 2.75/4.0
- UK 2.2 equivalent: 55% or GPA 2.50/4.0
Some courses require a higher overall CGPA, however we are happy to consider applications with a slightly lower GPA on an individual basis.
If you don't meet the postgraduate entry requirements, you can do a pre-Master's programme at International College Portsmouth (ICP) for many of our courses.
We'll consider you for a PhD if you have a good Master’s degree and submit a research proposal.
English language requirements
When you join us, it’s important that you can speak and understand English to the level that your course requires. The specific English language requirements will be on your chosen course page.
We accept a Grade C6 or above in English on the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE), IELTS, IGCSE and several other certificates, but don’t worry if you're currently short of the standard required – we offer English Language Programmes that will get you to the necessary level.
What to do next
Our Global Officers are experts in helping students from Ghana, like you, to apply to join us. Whatever you want to know, just ask.
Scholarships and Bursaries
As a student from Ghana, you can apply for various scholarships and bursaries, including the International Alumni Referral Award and Chevening Scholarship.
You can find more information about these on our funding page.
School of Earth and Environmental Sciences Scholarship (SEES)
If you're a self-funded student from Nigeria or Ghana, and you want to study one of the courses listed below in our Faculty of Science, you'll automatically be considered for one of three scholarships, which will reduce your tuition fees by 40%.
- MSc Engineering Geology
- MSc Geological and Environmental Hazards
- MSc Environmental Geology and Contamination
- MSc Crisis and Disaster Management
- MSc Geographical Information Systems
- MSc Coastal and Marine Resource Management
This award can only be applied to the listed full-time courses on campus. You can't combine this scholarship with any other fee reduction or University bursary, with the exception of the 2% early payment discount, which is applied to the net value of the fee. You can work out your total tuition fees by using our tuition fee calculator.
- you're fully self-funded (the scholarship can not be combined with any external, government or corporate sponsorship)
- you're an international student with a Ghanaian or Nigerian passport
- you've accepted an offer on one of the above postgraduate courses
- you've achieved a minimum G.P.A 3.0/5 or a Second Class Upper in a relevant subject.
How to apply
To be considered for this scholarship, you should submit your application and accept your offer by 31 July 2019. The decision will be made based on your academic results, personal statement and references. If you're one of the three successful candidates, you'll be informed by 10 August 2019.
Get in touch with us for more information.
Representatives and agents
If you want to learn more about studying with us or you want help with your application, contact one of our official representatives in Ghana:
42 Olusegun Obasanjo Way
Pig Farm Junction
PO Box TF70
C14 Star Avenue
Accra - North
169/4A Otwe Street
World Student Advisors
Thomas Kwame Nuku
Business Development Manager Ghana
WhatsApp: (+233) (0) 244-277-559