Applying from Kenya?
Here's all the information you need to study with us
If you’re from Kenya and interested in studying in the UK, the University of Portsmouth is a great place to fulfil your ambitions. And if you’re ready to take the next step, we’re ready to help you get here.
On this page, you'll find information about where you can meet us in your region, what you need to do to apply for a course with us and contact details for our people in your area.
Entry requirements for students from Kenya
If you're joining us from Kenya, the entry requirements you need to meet will depend on the course you want to study.
We consider all applications we receive. However, to make sure you get the most out of your time studying with us and have the best chance of applying successfully, we recommend the following minimum qualifications:
If you take the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE – 5 credits including Mathematics and English language) you'll usually need to do a foundation year before doing an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree.
We recommend you take a foundation course at our associated college International College Portsmouth (ICP)..
We'll consider you for admission onto an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree if you have the following:
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE – 5 credits including Mathematics and English Language) or
- the East African Certificate of Education (EACE) or Kenya Certificate of Education (KCE)
and a minimum of 3 subjects in:
- Cambridge Overseas Higher School Certificate (COHSC) or
- East African Advanced Certificate of Education (EAACE) or
- Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE), awarded until 1989
or a minimum of 'C' credit overall in:
- Diploma / Ordinary Diploma / Ordinary Technician Diploma
- University Diploma / Diploma
You can also apply with:
- Please check your specific course page to find the exact number of points needed. Your A level grades should equal or exceed the total points required. You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to work out your total points.
- Some courses will require you to have studied specific subjects at A level. For example, to study a science course you will usually need to have achieved passing grades in scientific subjects at A level.
- A level points: A* = 56 A = 48 B = 40 C = 32 D = 24.
- Most courses will require between 24 and 31 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB), depending on the degree you apply for.
You must have studied relevant subjects and achieved strong grades.
If you have a High National Diploma (HND) or Higher Technician Diploma you can apply for advanced entry onto a relevant undergraduate programme.
If you have a Third Class or Ordinary degree you may be considered for final year (top-up) entry onto a degree programme in a relevant subject.
Advanced Diplomas From APTECH/ABE/ICM and Informatics
If you've completed ADSE (APTECH) with credit, or achieve a GPA of 2.0 (Informatics), you can be considered for final year (top-up) entry onto the following courses:
- BSc (Hons) Computing
- BSc (Hons) Computing and Digital Image
- BSc (Hons) Business Information Systems
- BSc (Hons) Web Technologies
- BSc (Hons) Computing and Society
- BEng (Hons) Computer Networks
- BSc (Hons) Computing and Information Systems (Distance Learning)
- BSc (Hons) Business Information Systems (Distance Learning)
If you achieved a minimum GPA of 3.5 or above at ADSE, you can be considered for final year (top up) entry onto the following courses:
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science
- BSc (Hons) Software Engineering
- BSc (Hons) Forensic Computing
You may be able to join an undergraduate course with other qualifications. We do consider qualifications from a range of sources. Contact us to find out more.
For entry to our postgraduate Master's programmes, you'll usually need a Bachelor's degree from a recognised Higher Education institution.
Typical minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) requirements:
- From 2.8 on a scale of 1–4
- From 7 on a scale of 1–10
If you don't meet the postgraduate entry requirements, you can do a pre-Master's programme at International College Portsmouth (ICP) for many of our courses.
We'll consider you for a PhD if you have a good Master’s degree and submit a research proposal.
Find a PhD
English language requirements
When you join us, it’s important that you can speak and understand English to the level that your course requires. The specific English language requirements will be on your chosen course page.
We accept a Grade C or above in English on the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE), IELTS, IGCSE and several other certificates, but don’t worry if you're currently short of the standard required – we offer English Language Programmes that will get you to the necessary level.
What to do next
Ready to start your adventure with us? Whether you know which degree course you want to do or not, get in touch with us now or meet us at an event near you to discuss your next steps.
Our Global Officers are experts in helping students from Kenya, like you, to apply to join us. Whatever you want to know, just ask.
Scholarships and Bursaries
As a student from Kenya, you may be eligible for a scholarship. You can find out what is available to you on our funding pages.
Representatives and agents
If you want to learn more about studying with us or you want help with your application, contact one of our official representatives in Kenya:
Agents in Kenya
1st Floor Rupa's Mall
P.O. Box 6364-30100
Tel: (+254) 735 536 101
Imperial Education Consultants
Sagaas Centre (Opp. AIC Church)
Makasembo Rd, Off Nandi Rd
Tel/WhatsApp: (+254) 748 669 954 / (+254) 784 669 954
2nd Floor Tivoli Centre
Achieng Oneko Road
Kisumu (Next to Post Bank)
Tel: (+254) 733 311 727
4th Floor Texas Building
Next to Nyali Cinemax
P.O. Box 95649–80106
Tel: (+254) 738 861 664
Tel: (+254) 780 450 642
Imperial Education Consultants
Off Kenyatta Avenue
Tel/WhatsApp: (+254) 748 669 939 / (+254) 784 669 939
M1 Woodvale Grove
Tel: (+254) 02 0440 4111
Contact person: Mr Rahim Kassam
Tel: (+254) 734 004 003
S3 Education Consultants Ltd.
2nd Floor Westlands Square
Above Tusky's/Java House,
Tel: (+254) 7 2776 5796
Westlands off, Mpaka Road
Tel: (+254) 7 5568 8242
Tel: (+254) 7 1661 2223 | (+254) 7 2912 9799 | (+254) 7 5209 2287
Imperial Education Consultants
Diamond Plaza 1
4th Parklands Avenue
Tel/WhatsApp: (+254) 748 669 938 | (+254) 784 669 938
Events in Kenya
We don't have any current events planned in Kenya, but we do plan regular events so check back here often for more information.
You can also contact us, or speak to an agent in your region for more assistance.