American Students discussing wooden model

Applying from the United States of America?

Here's all the information you need to study with us

If you’re from the USA and interested in studying in the UK, the University of Portsmouth is a great place to fulfil your ambitions. And if you’re ready to take the next step, we’re ready to help you get here.

On this page, you'll find information about where you can meet us in your region, what you need to do to apply for a course with us and contact details for our people in your area.

Federal student aid

Students from the US who have received an offer to study an on-campus course at the University of Portsmouth can apply for a Direct Loan through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Programme. You can find more information, including how to apply and conditions for receipt of the loan, on our US Loans Scheme page, or email with your questions.

Entry requirements for students from the USA

If you're joining us from the USA, the entry requirements you need to meet will depend on the course you want to study.

We consider all applications we receive. However, to make sure you get the most out of your time studying with us and have the best chance of applying successfully, we recommend the following minimum qualifications:

Undergraduate courses

Our A Level requirements can typically be met through a combination of 3 AP Tests or SAT Subject Tests (taken prior to cancellation in 2021) in separate subjects (including any subject requirements) plus completion of the High School Diploma (usually GPA 3.0). 

Changes to SAT testing

We are aware of the changes announced in 2021 by College Board regarding the future availability of SAT subject tests and the removal of the essay part of the SAT. We will continue to accept subject test scores from those who have already completed them.

For undergraduate entry, you will need to have a High School Diploma. As the level of a High School Diploma varies from state to state, the grading also varies but as a guide you will need a GPA of 3.0 or above, plus one of the following:

Tariff A-level grade APs (Advanced Placement Tests) ACT (American College Testing) SAT Reasoning and SAT Subject Tests combined (post-March 2016)
144 AAA  555 composite score of 29 1300 in SAT Reasoning (combined) and 3 SAT subject tests at scores of 650, 650, 650
136 AAB  554 composite score of 28 1300 in SAT Reasoning (combined) and 3 SAT subject tests at scores of 650, 650, 600
128 ABB  544 composite score of 28 1200 in SAT Reasoning (combined) and 3 SAT subject tests at scores of 650, 600, 600
120 BBB  444 composite score of 27 1200 in SAT Reasoning (combined) and 3 SAT subject tests at scores of 600, 600, 600
112 BBC  443 composite score of 27 1200 in SAT Reasoning (combined) and 3 SAT subject tests at scores of 600, 600, 580
104 BCC  433 composite score of 26 1160 in SAT Reasoning (combined) and 3 SAT subject tests at scores of 600, 580, 580
96 CCC  333 composite score of 25 1160 in SAT Reasoning (combined) and 3 SAT subject tests at scores of 580, 580, 580

For some of our courses, you will need to have studied relevant subjects. Please refer to the individual course pages for further information.

If you don't have a High School diploma, you can apply with:

A levels

  • Please check your specific course page to find the exact number of points needed. Your A level grades should equal or exceed the total points required. You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to work out your total points.
  • Some courses will require you to have studied specific subjects at A level. For example, to study a science course you will usually need to have achieved passing grades in scientific subjects at A level.
  • A level points: A* = 56 A = 48 B = 40 C = 32 D = 24.

International Baccalaureate

  • Most courses will require between 24 and 31 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB), depending on the degree you apply for.

You may be able to join an undergraduate course with other qualifications. We do consider qualifications from a range of sources. We also offer foundation courses through the International College Portsmouth (ICP). Contact us to find out more.

Transfer students

We welcome applications from transfer students, and we'll consider your application if you have completed your secondary school education and you're enrolled at a college or university where you have earned credit for academic courses. Credit must be from courses relevant to the major you wish to study here, and you will only be accepted for transfer if you can demonstrate sufficient subject knowledge in your specified major. If you have achieved credit but intend to apply for an unrelated major, it is likely that we will only accept you for year 1. Please note that transfer students can only be admitted in the Fall term.

Postgraduate courses/Graduate students

For entry to our postgraduate Master's programmes, you'll usually need to have a Bachelor's degree with a GPA of 2.6 /4 or above from a recognised Higher Education institution. Some courses will ask for higher grades. Work experience is also required for several other postgraduate courses and many courses will require you to have studied relevant subjects. Please see our courses for more details.

To apply for any of our courses please go to our online application form.

If you don't meet the postgraduate entry requirements, you can do a pre-Master's programme at International College Portsmouth (ICP) for many of our courses.


We'll consider you for a PhD if you have a good Master’s degree and submit a research proposal.

Find a PhD

Study Abroad Students

There are several programs available with an optional study abroad or placement year. However, you cannot undertake the study abroad or placement year if you wish to be eligible for the federal loan.

If you have further questions about studying at the University of Portsmouth, please contact us.

What to do next

Ready to start your adventure with us? Whether you know which degree course you want to do or not, get in touch with us now or meet us at an event near you to discuss your next steps.

Our Global Officers are experts in helping students from the USA, like you, to apply to join us. Whatever you want to know, just ask.

Scholarships and Bursaries

As an international student, you may be eligible for a scholarship. You can find out what is available to you on our funding pages.