Complaints help us to learn and improve the work we do.

Whether you're a student, graduate or a member of the public we take your complaints seriously and treat you with respect.

You'll never be disadvantaged as a result of raising a genuine concern and we treat all parties fairly in our investigations.

Our complaints procedures are designed to be accessible to everyone who may need them. If you aren't able to use the complaints procedures as described, please contact our complaints team at

Making a complaint

Find out how we deal with complaints:

If you are studying with one of our partner institutions and would like to make a complaint you should use the partner's internal complaints procedure. If you are unhappy with the result you can make a complaint to us as a current student.

Support and advice

Your first step to resolving a complaint would be to raise your concerns informally. If that doesn't lead to an adequate resolution, your next step will be to register a formal complaint. These services can help you to discuss your concerns or support you in making your complaint:

  • Student’s Union Advice Service – You can get advice on anything affecting your time with us from the Students' Union Advice Service.
  • Our Bullying and Harassment Advisers are an internal service for students experiencing bullying or harassment.
  • Student and Neighbourhood Liaison – If you have concerns about student neighbours or you're a student who needs help in your neighbourhood, contact our Student Housing department at or call us on +44 (0) 2392 843214.
  • Additional Support and Disability Advice Centre (ASDAC) – For help and support with any issues relating to special requirements contact us at or call +44 (0) 2392 843462.
  • Collaborative Partnerships – For help pursuing a complaint involving a collaborative partner, email us at or call +44 (0) 2392 843196. If you are a student with one of our collaborative partners and have concerns about your course you should use the partner's internal complaint procedure before registering a complaint.
  • Student Support Service – You can contact the Student Support Service at For help with issues in your halls of residence email the Residence Life Team at or call +44 (0) 23 9284 3789

We keep records of all complaints made to us in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act 2018 for the time period specified in our record retention schedule – in this case, 6 years after the last action relating to the complaint.

Anonymous details of the number of complaints received and the subject and outcomes of complaints are included in an annual report made to our senior management for quality purposes and equality monitoring. The relevant monitoring data will be collected from the student database.

The Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA)handles complaints against higher education institutions once students have exhausted the institution's internal complaints procedures. You can see how complaints about the University to the OIA are handled, and the outcomes following OIA investigations, at the OIA website.

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close