The Geochemistry Laboratory is used to study the properties of the Earth’s surface materials. The lab is used for practical classes, student project work, and research in the fields of Palaeontology, Environmental Science and Geology.
Students on courses including BSc Hons Marine Environmental Science, BSc (Hons) Geology, BSc (Hons) Palaeontology, BSc (Hons) Environmental Science, and MSc Environmental Geology and Contamination, use the lab.
The Geochemistry Laboratory contributes to student projects and staff/student research in the following areas:
- Geology – geochemistry sample preparation work for X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy, plus sample preparation for isotope analysis using multi-collector inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry.
- Environmental science – sample preparation for quadropole inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry and inductively coupled optical emission spectroscopy. Flow cytometry and fluorimetry. Ecotoxicology studies and basic water quality testing.
- Palaeontology – palynology sample processing.
- Hydrofluoric acid fume hood and acid dissolution area
- General chemistry glassware and reagents
- Palynology processing area – for acid dissolutions of rock matrices, sample sieving and heavy liquid separation
- Merck Mili-Q Direct – 8 water system for trace analysis work
- Katanax K1 Prime autofuser – for preparation of XRF fusion beads
- Fluid Imaging VS1 FlowCam – for visualisation/speciation of particles in solution
- Sysmex Cyflow Cube 8 Flow cytometer – for cell population measurements, counting and characterisation
- Clean room – for clean isotopic analysis sample preparation