Our System Administration and Networking Suite provides an environment for network simulation experiments to support the design and development of large-scale network deployments.
In the lab (also known as A2.NET), 200 specialist dual-boot (Linux and Windows) PCs can be used to implement and test virtualised computing and network infrastructures.
Cisco Networking Academy.
The System Administration and Networking Suite is also home to our Cisco Networking Academy.
Cisco and Netgear routers and switches perform routing through owned subnets of the network. And we run our own servers to meet network application needs, such as DNS, DHCP, Kerberos and NIS.
Students can access the network and any of the computers remotely, all of which are secured with firewalls and VPNs.
Equipment and software
- 96 Cisco ISR 4221 routers, 2x1G and 2xWAN interfaces
- 48 Cisco Catalyst 2960-24TC-L level 2 switches, 24x100M and 2x1G ports
- 48 Cisco Catalyst 3650-24TS-E level 2/3 switches, 24x100M and 4x1G ports
- 24 Cisco ASA 5506-X security appliances with FirePOWER services
- 200 cores at 2.4GHz, 64 cores at 3.1GHz, 32 cores at 2.67GHz
- 704 GiB combined RAM capacity
- 11 TiB of attached storage in various capacities
- Operating systems: Windows 10 and CentOS
- Modelling: Riverbed Modeler (former Opnet)
- Virtualisation: VmWare, VirtualBox, KVM
- Cloud: Open Nebula
System Administration and Networking Suite
School of Computing
Anglesea Building (A2.NET)