Eldon TV studios
Our Eldon TV studios are where all of our television and broadcasting activities happen.
Whether it's undergraduate coursework, hiring our facilities and equipment, or being a part of the student-led TV channel, CCI TV, our studios have everything you'll need to learn the skills needed to work in video and audio production, and broadcasting.
The studio is home to industry-standard equipment and software, so students can experience working in a real media environment
Students can put their learning into practice in the TV studio, and produce professional quality broadcasts
Equipment and rooms
Our TV Studio Gallery is where all our video and audio sources are mixed for broadcasting online and around the university. The gallery can cater from a single camera recording to a 10+ camera multi-studio production.
The Gallery has over 20 screens to monitor the broadcast and is generally operated by a crew of 7 or 8 students.
- Newtek Tricaster — our video production and live broadcast system that can receive 12 video inputs at once including studio and external broadcast, Skype calls and networked graphics
- 5 media players — to provide video, graphics and sound clip playback that can be combined in 8 mixed effects sources like picture in picture to offer a total of 24 visual sources
- 9 Sony Wireless Lavalier and 2 wireless Sennheiser handheld mics — so audio can be capture in candid, discreet ways
- sound control booth — including a Behringer X32 Compact audio mixer that is Dante enabled and can be linked up with the Eldon Broadcast Hub to offer 32 inputs
- 20 Person IP-based talkback system — so crew members can communicate between the gallery, studio and on screen talent to feed instructions during live broadcasts
Our Eldon Broadcast Hub is a fixed studio area and social learning space. This area and the space surrounding it provides a large open plan working area to produce live NDI video content in front of an audience with room for more than 5 cameras. The hub has space for 8 students, up to 3 presenters, and over 50 audience members.
The studio space has been used to broadcast all kinds of live TV segments including acoustic music performances, interviews, live cooking, break dancing, football skills, magic, first aid skills and karate.
- 5 Sony PXW-FS7 video cameras — 1 crane mounted, with the other 4 tripod mounted, 3 of which have 17-inch autocues for displaying text to presenters
- several deployable compact and Pan, Tilt, Zoom (PTZ) remote controllable cameras
- Dante enabled Behringer X32 Rack Mixer — with 16 physical inputs which can be used to mix audio in the hub itself or in tandem with the TV Studio Gallery
- wireless tablet used to mix audio feeds for the audience in real-time
- 8 AEQ Xplorer Wireless beltpacks — to handle talkback between presenters and crew, along with 3 iOS devices running XVirtual talkback software so crew can move freely during broadcast
- LED lighting including Chauvet multi-coloured wash lights — to light the studio and backdrop in a range of colours
- portable battery-powered LED lighting and coloured LED PAR cans — to create more dynamic lighting during broadcast
You can use green screen in a live production to place your on-screen talent in any scene or virtual television studio. For example, a presenter could be placed into a large newsroom which gives the illusion they are in a studio 10 times the size of the area they are actually stood in.
The green screen studio can be hired on its own for filming and photography or used along with the TV Studio Gallery.
- 12m² green screen space — with 2m high screen for recording green screen materail and placing talent into virtual environments during live broadcast
- 2 tripod mounted Sony PXW-Z150 cameras — fitted with 17-inch autocues to guide on-screen talent
- ceiling mounted KinoFlo Foto-Flo lights — used to scale lighting according to the virtual environments being presented on screen
- monitoring screens and talkback setup — for crew to communicate between teams and studios during broadcast
- virtual set capabilities
- green screen recording for post-production
The sound recording studio provides an equipped sound proof room for the recording of voice overs, podcasts and radio production. The room can also be hired by those wishing to bring their own microphones and recording equipped into a sound proof environment.
- Sonifex portable radio production unit — with condenser microphones and cart players for up to 4 people.
- voiceover capture setup — including PC, 2 Neumann for seated and standing VO recording
- Myriad Playout software — for radio production as well as Skype and mobile phone integration
- Audacity and Adobe Audition for audio recording
Outside broadcast capabilities
We also have all the necessary equipment and cabling for production and broadcasts in outside settings. This includes over 1000 metres of video, audio, power and data cabling which can be set up on location and a Minicaster Portable Uplink Unit which gives us satellite connectivity so we can broadcast from anywhere.
Past outside broadcasts have been produced from the QA Hospital, South Parade Pier, The New Forest Wildlife Park, Portsmouth Football Club and The Mary Rose Museum.
If you're interested in our broadcasting facilities – including hiring our spaces or using our outside broadcast capabilities – please email email@example.com.
Where to find us
Eldon TV Studios
Winston Churchill Avenue