Our Newsroom is exclusively for our students. It's where they engage in hands-on learning and practical workshops, using the same hardware and software as news professionals in the industry.
The Newsroom also gives our students the chance to sharpen their analytical, critical, design, editing, presentation and writing skills, in an environment that replicates the newsroom of a real news organisation.
The Newsroom is equipped with the following features:
- 5 wall-mounted monitors/TV screens, including a 43-inch TV with Google Chromecast and Apple TV 4K capability, allowing for group viewing and discussion of professional news broadcasts
- 25 Apple iMac computers installed with Adobe Creative Cloud's suite of image editing, design and audio-visual editing tools – including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat DC, Adobe XD and Premiere Pro
Course modules and activity in this facility include
- Digital Skills for Journalists – applying creative and imaginative practical journalism techniques in a digital context, including written, audio and visual elements
- Newsroom Production – applying software and production skills to video editing
- Press and PR – researching and producing materials for in-house public relations scenarios, including online
- Reporting – including creative newswriting techniques to produce copy to the required style, length, and deadline
- Smartphone Journalism – constructing visual content using a smartphone or tablet
- Writing and Producing Magazines – including producing flatplans and dummy issues of an original magazine