Palaeontology and Advanced Microscopy Laboratories
Our Palaeontology and Advanced Microscopy Laboratories are stocked with rock, mineral and fossil specimens to teach students about the evolution of life on Earth. The labs are used to teach practical skills in geology and biology on courses including BSc (Hons) Environmental Science, BSc (Hons) Palaeontology, BSc (Hons) Geology and MRes Science. The labs are also used by our researchers working in the area of Earth and Environmental Sciences.
The labs are used for processes such as acid digestion, air abrasion, microfossil extraction, sample processing, and identification and taxonomy of microfossils.
- Fume hoods and acid digestion facilities
- Air abrasive system and air pens
- Wet and dry sieving apparatus
- Pneumatic chisels
- Polarising and scanning electron microscopes
- Leica compound DIC microscope
- Leica and Olympus stereo microscopes
- Olympus Epifluorescence microscope