The Surveying Store houses all the equipment needed for civil engineering and surveying studies.
In the first year of all our courses in these subjects, students learn levelling techniques and the measurement of angles using automatic levels and theodolites.
Students can borrow this equipment from the Surveying Store – to gain practical experience during timetabled sessions, and to develop their skills at their own pace.
- Automatic levels, used to set up level points and check elevations
- Theodolites and total stations, plus fully automatic robotic stations
- AutoCAD and Revit for campus and home use (computer-aided design and drafting software)
- Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) and Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers, to accurately survey and mark land
- Handheld Distomat distance measurement device
- Digital laser level
- Survey-graded DJI Drone, which can be used to carry out topographic surveys
The AutoCAD and Revit software applications used by students and staff are available on campus or accessible from home computer via the University's VPN.
All courses offered by the School of Civil Engineering and Surveying have access to the equipment, including BEng (Hons) and MEng Civil Engineering, and MSc Civil Engineering. Equipment is also sometimes loaned out to the School of Architecture, and the School of the Environment, Geography and Geosciences.