Push the boundaries of design
Location: Eldon Building
Our fashion and textile design courses encourage you to be a creative and innovative thinker. In the fabric workshop and adjoining sewing room, you'll put your creative ideas into practice using the latest tools and equipment.
Experiment by combining traditional skills and techniques with new digital technology. And get guidance and support from our highly skilled technicians.
Explore our Fabric Workshop
Fabric print workshop and textile lab
In our fabric print workshop and textile lab, you'll learn every step of the fabric preparation and design process, including many fabric printing techniques. The space is primarily used by Fashion and Textile Design students, but students from related courses are also welcome.
Equipment and amenities
- Dye station for prepping and dyeing fabrics with chemical and natural dyes, two indigo vats for dyeing natural fabrics and denim
- Single and twin head digital embroidery machines – design intricate embroideries on specialist software and transfer them onto fabric with our industry standard machinery
- Four heat presses (A3 size up to A1) for heat transfer methods such as dye sublimation, chromablast, and applying flock, foil and vinyl
- Two four-metre long print beds for screen printing fabric – extensive collection of silk screens ranging from A3 sample size up to A1 for printing large lengths of fabric.
- Screen print equipment – industry standard eco-friendly inks and advanced techniques including metallic and neon pigments, puff and pearl binder, devoré, and decolourant printing
Teaching and project space
Our separate teaching and project space is kitted out for classes and project work. It's open until late most days and has an attached kitchen, so you can come in and work on your designs at a convenient time for you.
Equipment and amenities
Our teaching and project space includes:
- 17 ladies mannequins to fit designs
- eight large pattern cutting tables—your main work space
- three PCs, installed with Ethos, Modaris, Adobe CC and laser cutting software
- TV projector and sound system
You can get skills support and guidance from our experts and technicians. They're here to help you finesse your technical skills for your final-year project or postgraduate studies, with:
- basic skills sessions for trying out new methods and techniques
- one-to-one sessions with a tutor
- sampling sessions to test out new patterns and designs
- a library of technical process guides—step-by-step guides and points of reference
Learn to use industrial flatbed sewing machines and other specialist equipment in our sewing workshop.
Our Workshops are ideal for model-making, with high-grade kit for crafting wood, metal, plastics, polyurethane, concrete and plaster works.