Learn how to create flawless fashion pieces
Location: Eldon Building
Our Sewing Workshop provides the space you need to build up your sewing skills, experiment with industry-standard tech, and bring your fashion designs to life.
Located alongside our fabric print workshop and textile lab, you'll find everything you need to create and embellish your designs, including expert technicians on hand to help.
Explore our Sewing Workshop
Open-plan sewing room
Our large sewing workshop has space for up to 12 people, with six large tables for pattern and fabric cutting.
You'll get to grips with industrial flatbed sewing machines and other specialist equipment as used by industry professionals.
We also have a range of mannequins in different shapes and sizes, so you can design for multiple body types and scales.
Equipment and amenities
- Access our well-stocked block and pattern library with all the materials you need to turn your designs into reality
- Use industrial steam presses with vacuums to achieve a perfect finish on your seams and garments
- Neaten or join seams and precisely trim excess fabric using our industrial three- and four-thread overlockers
- Hem elastic fabrics while maintaining their stretchiness with the coverstitch machine
- Create neat finishes in fabric using the digital buttonholer or the popper and eyelet machine
- Design fabric covered buttons, which can be made by our staff
- Work on leather or denim using the industrial heavy-duty leather machines
- Mesh fabrics or add detail by felting with the embellisher machine
- Use the fusing press to adhere fusible to areas of your garment that require structure
- Prevent fraying and hem fabrics with the industrial felling machine
- Add finishing touches, including freehand embroidery and decorative stitching, using our domestic sewing machines
Use our screen printing and screen coating rooms for your graphic materials, artwork, and fabric printing, with a host of traditional and digital equipment.
Create, design, and work with textiles and fashion in our Fabric Workshop.
Eldon Art Shop
Whether you're studying a creative degree or want to pick up some supplies, our Eldon Art Shop has the materials you'll need for your coursework or project.