Our print workshops are used by students of animation, graphic design, digital media, and students can work here individually and on larger collaborative projects.
Find out more about the Screen Printing room and Screen Coating room, and the equipment available in each for students to use.
Screen printing room
Screen printing has been around for a thousand years and is still popular today. Modern day posters, artwork and printed-on garments are created using this technique.
Students who have completed the required induction can use our screen printing room whenever they wish during opening hours, to print materials such as flyers, posters or their own business cards.
Equipment and resources
- 6 vacuum tables — for holding down objects or materials during machining
- 6 printing beds — which are the surface of a 3D printer where a print head lays down material to make a 3D print
- 100 printing screens — including 30 screens of A1 size, 60 screens of A2size and 2 screens of A0 size.
- Gemini405 laser-guided guillotine — a trimming and cutting machine used by staff to correctly size students' projects
- Industry standard emulsions, fluids and inks — emulsion is a thicker liquid widely used in printing processes
- 2 drying racks with jet washers — dedicated multi-storey racks for letting plates dry
- 2 jet washing bays — to clean out ink trays, rollers, and ink buckets
- 2 processing units — used to produce digital and hand drawn designs
Screen coating room
In this room, students can transfer existing images from one print out to another, using a light-sensitive emulsion. Our screen coating room features the following equipment and resources:
- Photographic emulsion — free for students to use, this is a light-sensitive colloid of solid particles in a fluid, which coats the material chosen by the student – such as glass, film, paper or fabric
- 1 drying cabinet — a horizontal cabinet ideal for drying emulsion coated screens
- 2 exposure units — to expose your image so you can reproduce your design
- 2 rinsing bays — a dedicated space for rinsing plates