City of Portsmouth

What you need to know

Information and support for University staff from the EU/EEA

The information below is provided to assist both existing staff at the University and individuals who are considering working for the University of Portsmouth.

The EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS)

The new immigration system launched on 1 January 2021, and EU citizens who were living in the UK on or before 11.00pm on 31 December 2020 had until 30 June 2021 to apply for status under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS).

EU citizens who moved to the UK after the 1 January 2021 may not be eligible for EUSS and will need to obtain a suitable immigration status (visa) to live and work in the UK.

The University is not required to obtain proof of EUSS for existing employees at the University, but existing staff who wish to confirm their status can do so by emailing a share code to 

New EU employees at the University, from 1 January 2021, will need to evidence a suitable right to work document prior to any work being undertaken. Please visit the government website to check if you need a UK visa. Support is provided for those who require a sponsored visa to come to the UK to work for the University, and the HR Compliance Team will liaise with successful candidates to review the skilled worker visa option. If you feel you may be eligible for an alternative visa route please view full information on all the UKVI visas the government website

Non-EU family members accompanying EU citizens

EU citizens who move to the UK after 31 December 2020 may be accompanied by their non-EU citizen family members:

  • including direct family members such as spouse, civil partners or children
  • extended family members such as “durable” partners and dependent relatives

Irish citizens and the Common Travel Area

The associated rights of British and Irish citizens under the Common Travel Arrangements mean that Irish citizens will continue to have the right to enter, live and work in the UK without requiring permission.


Under the new immigration system, EU citizens no longer have freedom of movement in the UK, and UK nationals may need to meet certain criteria to undertake business activities in Europe. Please see the Government guidance below which you should read if you are planning to travel, including current travel advice during the coronavirus pandemic.

University Contact Details

You can email with queries related to the impact of Brexit on staff employed by the University.

If you're already a member of staff at the University of Portsmouth, please also refer to the Brexit information located in the Human Resources section on the internal website.