A student in a blue hoodie talking to somebody

Get help from the University Support Fund

Support Fund grants can help cover emergency costs such as urgent bills and food supplies

If you get into financial difficulty while studying with us, you can apply for help from our University Support Fund.

We understand that unexpected financial difficulties put a strain on your ability to focus on your studies. We're also aware that the pandemic might have led to unexpected situations, such as a drop in income or difficulties finding part-time work alongside your studies.

So if you need emergency help to pay living costs once you're a student here – such as bills, rent or food – you can apply quickly and easily online. And you won't have to pay it back. The University Support Fund won't replace your income entirely, but it can be a helpful safety net in times of trouble.

Who can apply

Any undergraduate or postgraduate (taught) students can apply to the Support Fund for help with certain emergency costs.

Postgraduate research students (PGRs) can also apply to the University Support Fund for emergency costs arising from Covid-19.

What costs the Support Fund can help with

The fund can help you meet costs for things like:

  • Rent
  • Bills
  • Food
  • Medical costs, such as prescriptions of contact lenses
  • Some study related travel costs – for example commuting between the Isle of Wight and Portsmouth
  • Course related costs for part-time students such as childcare

The fund cannot be used to help pay for:

  • Tuition fees
  • IT equipment – there’s a University Laptop Loan scheme to help you with equipment needs 
  • Non compulsory items such as gym memberships, or car costs (unless you have a child or other caring responsibilities)

How to apply

You can apply for help from the Support Fund once you're registered on your course. Your application will be assessed on your eligibility, income, and expenditure. 

You'll be asked for your Student Finance England notification letter (if applicable), 3 months up-to-date bank statements from all accounts including savings, and a copy of your tenancy agreement or halls invoice. In most cases, successful awards are paid by electronic transfer to your bank account.

Once you're a registered student, you can request an application form by emailing studentfinance@port.ac.uk. You may be contacted by phone or email regarding your application if we need to discuss it further with you. 

More information on eligibility and gathering evidence is available in the application guidance notes.

Unsuccessful applications

We assess all applications in line with our fund guidelines. If you're unhappy with the outcome of your application there is a review procedure. Reviews will normally only be considered if a piece of information was either not known or not taken into account in the original assessment.

Get advice from the Student Finance Team

If you need help applying for funding or managing your finances at uni, our Student Finance Centre provides expert advice and guidance on money-related issues.

The Student Finance Team can:

  • Help you identify and apply for funding
  • Money management and budgeting advice
  • Help with scholarships and bursaries

If you need help from the Student Finance Team before you register, you can email them at studentfinance@port.ac.uk or call them on +44 (0) 2392 843014.