The Graduate School offers comprehensive support and guidance for Postgraduate Research Degree (PGR) Supervisors through Introductory and Best Practice workshops, Development workshops, topics of advanced or specialist interest, and useful resources.
A full list of our supervision workshops can be found on our events page and via our dedicated Eventbrite page.
In the workshops, we provide an overview of the processes involved in managing a research degree student at Portsmouth, as well as providing opportunities for you to pick up many hints and tips and to discuss the 'art' of supervision with experienced supervisors.
We also offer online training for:
Useful resources for supervisors and staff
The following resources will help you to support your research students:
- Handbook for Research Degree Supervisors and Students
- Code of Practice for Research Students
- Writing, Communication and Language Support for Research Students
University forms for PGR procedures and processes can be found via the Department of Student and Academic Administration.
External information and resources
The following information and resources are by external bodies which may help to enhance your research supervisor experience:
- The Good Supervisory Practice Framework (UKCGE)
- A Guide to Online Supervision (UKCGE)
- Research Supervision Recognition programme (UKCGE)
- Postgraduate Research Supervisors Network (UKCGE)
- Supervision and key relationships (Vitae)
- UK Quality Code for Higher Education. Part B, Assuring and Enhancing Academic Quality. Chapter B11: Research Degrees (QAA)
If you have any enquiries with regards to our supervisor workshops, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org