The Graduate School offers comprehensive support and guidance for Postgraduate Research Degree (PGR) Supervisors through Introductory and Best Practice workshops, Development workshops, topics of advanced or specialist interest, and useful resources. In the workshops, we provide an overview of the processes involved in managing a research degree student at Portsmouth, as well as providing opportunities for you to pick up many hints and tips and to discuss the 'art' of supervision with experienced supervisors.
As a research degree supervisor you can take advantage of high quality online training resources provided by the Graduate School. If you can't come to a scheduled workshop, you can instead complete some of the mandatory training online at a more convenient time.
We offer online training for:
Useful resources for supervisors and staff
The following resources will help you to support your research students:
- Research Degrees Operational Handbook
- Code of Practice for Research Students
- Writing, Communication and Language Support for Research Students
University forms for PGR procedures and processes can be found via the Department of Academic Services Research Degrees myport page.
External information and resources
The following information and resources are by external bodies which may help to enhance your research supervisor experience:
- The Good Supervisory Practice Framework (UKCGE)
- A Guide to Online Supervision (UKCGE)
- Research Supervision Recognition programme (UKCGE)
- Postgraduate Research Supervisors Network (UKCGE)
- Supervision and key relationships (Vitae)
- UK Quality Code, Advice and Guidance: Research Degrees
If you have any enquiries with regards to our supervisor workshops, please contact email@example.com