Male student smiling

Accommodation, bursaries and designated advisors

Support for you if you've lost touch with your parents

If you've lost touch with your parents, you might find it more difficult to get the personal and financial support you need at uni.

This is why we give you additional help, guidance and support if you're an estranged student. If you're aged 18–24 and have had a breakdown in your relationship with your parents that's unlikely to change, you're considered an estranged student.

Around 40 estranged students take advantage of our help and support each year. We're committed to support estranged students and are signed up to the Stand Alone Pledge.

How we support you

Here's a summary of the help and support you'll get as an estranged student when you study with us. You can also contact us for help and support during your application, even if we're not your first-choice uni.

Guaranteed year-round accommodation

We guarantee estranged students accommodation in a halls of residence all year round, so you don't have to worry about finding somewhere to live over the Christmas, Easter and summer holidays.

£1,000 Stand Alone Bursary

You could get a Stand Alone Bursary of £1,000 to help you cover your study costs. It isn't based on your income and you don't need to pay this back.

You might not be able to get this bursary alongside some of our other bursaries and scholarships. We'll help you understand which scholarships and bursaries are best for you.

Unite Scholarship – a free place in halls

This scholarship is awarded by the Unite Foundation and gives statutory Care Leavers or estranged students a free place in a Unite hall of residence for a maximum of 3 years.

Who's eligible?

You could get this scholarship if all the following apply to you:

  • you’re a statutory Care Leaver or estranged from your family
  • you're aged under 25 at the start of your course you have UK home fee status
  • you're a full-time undergraduate student or hold a firm offer for a full-time undergraduate course from the University of Portsmouth

There are a limited number of these scholarships, so not everyone who's eligible will be successful.

You can get this scholarship alongside the Stand Alone Bursary or Care Leavers Bursary.

How to apply for the Unite Scholarship

The application window is now open.

If you'd like to apply contact the Student Finance Centre for a link to the online application form. Applications should be submitted by midnight Monday 30 May 2022.

If you're hoping to join us in September 2022 you can apply for this scholarship once you've made the University of Portsmouth your firm choice via UCAS.


You won't be able to get this scholarship on foundation, repeat or placement years.

Designated finance and wellbeing advisors

You'll be assigned a member of staff from our Student Finance Centre who'll advise and guide you on your support needs. They can also help you apply for finance and funding before you start uni and during your course.

You'll also get a designated wellbeing advisor. They'll provide wellbeing support and help you access other wellbeing services quickly, if you need them.

Getting estranged student support

To find out how to get support, contact us by email at or by phone on +44 (0)23 9284 3014.

We'll only use this information to give you the support you need – it won't affect how we assess your university application.

And don't forget to check out Moving UP, to hear stories from students with lived experiences of care and estrangement.

Leah's experience as an estranged student