Our halls of residence
Already received an offer from us?
Our halls of residence
When you stay with us in halls, you get the keys to your own place and open the door to a community of new people.
If you're applying to join as a new, full-time undergraduate student, we guarantee you a room in halls if you make us your firm first choice, and meet our accommodation deadline.
Some of the perks of living in halls:
- All our halls are in the centre of Portsmouth, close to our campus. However early your first lecture, you should get there on time.
- Every room has a bed, desk, drawers and plenty of sockets for your laptop, phone and anything else you need.
- You get free broadband and WiFi, so you'll always be connected.
- All bills are included in the cost of your room – gas, electricity, heating, water and basic insurance.
- The majority of our rooms are en-suite, with private shower, sink and toilet.
- We have accessible rooms for students who need them, approved by AccessAble (formerly known as DisabledGo).
- All our rooms are singles, and they're yours for the entire academic year – even over the Easter and Christmas holidays.
- Our Residence Life Team is always there if you need help, advice or support. They also provide out-of-hours pastoral care 7 days a week, all year round.
We can find you a quieter room or a place in single-sex accommodation if you'd prefer. But don't bring your car unless you're a blue badge holder. If you're staying in halls, you'll need to leave any pets at home.
Your right to a quality home
We know how important it is to have a safe, comfortable living space at uni. That's why all of our halls of residence are signed up to the Student Accommodation Code (for University-owned halls) or National Code (for halls owned by our nominated providers).
These codes protect your rights to:
- a healthy, safe environment
- timely repairs and maintenance
- a clean, pleasant living environment
- a formal, contractual relationship with your landlord
- access to health and wellbeing services
- a living environment free from anti-social behaviour
Self-catered, en-suite bathroom
Catered, en-suite bathroom
Accessible rooms available
Self-catered, shared bathroom
Our halls at a glance
The table below contains key information you need to choose the right hall for you based on your budget, and whether you want catered or self-catered accommodation or an en-suite bathroom.
|Our halls of residence||Catered||Self-catered||En-suite||Weekly prices||Session fee (academic year)|
|* Bateson Hall (standard room)||✔||£96||£3,840|
|* Bateson Hall (large room)||✔||£108||£4,320|
|** Trafalgar Hall||✔||✔||£127||£5,080|
|** Trafalgar Hall studio room||✔||✔||£149||£5,960|
|* Harry Law Hall||✔||✔||£133||£5,320|
|* Harry Law Hall studio room||✔||✔||£149—156||£5,960—£6,240|
|** Rosalind Franklin Halls||✔||✔||£137||£5,480|
|** Rosalind Franklin Halls studio room||✔||✔||£149||£5,960|
|** Margaret Rule Hall||✔||✔||£143||£5,720|
|** Margaret Rule Hall studio room||✔||✔||£154||£6,160|
|** Greetham Street Hall||✔||✔||£153—£159||£6,120—£6,360|
|† Catherine House||✔||✔||£141—150||£5,640—£6,000|
|** Chaucer House||✔||✔||£153||£6,120|
|* Rees Hall||✔||✔||£169||£6,760|
|* Burrell House||✔||£130||£5,200|
Ready to apply for halls?
All applications for our halls have to be made online. We'll send you a link to our online application system when we contact you after you've firmly accepted your place to study with us.