Working with Portsmouth Football Club
We're the Main Club Partner of Portsmouth Football Club (PFC), one of the city's best known and well loved organisations. Our three-year sponsorship began at the start of the 2018/19 season and is a natural extension of our education partnership.
We’re collaborating with the club because we share the same ambitions:
- We want to play a key role in the economic, educational and cultural life of our city and region
- We want to increase participation in higher education throughout the city
- We’re proud to be part of Portsmouth and we want to increase awareness
As a leading university in England for sports science, it is a natural fit for us to work together with Portsmouth Football Club. We are ambitious for the success of the University, the Club and our great city.
Benefits of the partnership
Working together means we help the community and each other in many different ways:
- We inspire young people to get into higher education by visiting colleges and schools together. In 2019, we took along the Checkatrade (EFL) Trophy on school visits
- Our students work with PFC staff on collaborative research projects. One of our PhD students is working with the club on the diagnosis of acute lower limb injuries
- We share our facilities with each other – the club uses University pitches for out-of-season training
- We promote each other by publicising our partnership and our brands
- University staff and students get discounted match tickets for all PFC’s home League One matches
Education is the foundation of a prosperous community and by working together, we can encourage young people to consider futures they may not have believed achievable in the past.
Work experience for students
The club benefits from our students' input through work placements, while our students gain valuable experience including:
- Match filming for the big screen at the club's Fratton Park stadium, operating cameras and carrying out vision mixing
- Part-time work in hospitality, the club shop and stewarding on match days
- Work placements in the club's coaching academy for undergraduate and postgraduate Sport and Exercise Science students
- Our dental students give dental health checks to academy players at the start of the football season
Being part of the city of Portsmouth as chairman of their football club, while having a close relationship with a high-quality university is a magic combination.
Need some fresh input? Tap into our students, staff and facilities to boost your business.
Discover how we get involved locally and how you can participate too, from providing housing for our students to helping with our research projects.