Male and female nursing students take notes

Occupational health checks

The occupational health checks you'll need before registering on a healthcare degree course

If you're coming to uni to study a course in healthcare, you'll need to complete confidential occupational health checks.

These are to prevent placement–related illnesses or injuries. They also make sue that necessary adjustments are made before you start your placement.

Timeline for occupational health checks

It's important that all documents you give us contain the most up-to-date information available. You should complete all the checks and provide documentation between 1 July and 1 September before you begin your course in September.

Occupational health checks to complete for healthcare courses

If you're taking a course in health or care with us, you'll need to complete the following checks.

Health checks:

You'll need to complete the Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust online confidential occupational health questionnaire.

When you're studying a healthcare course, your health might put be put at risk by the health of others, and vice versa. So you should disclose as much information about your health as possible.

You need to ask your GP to complete a doctor's certificate and immunisation report.

These documents need to be completed and submitted between 1 July and 1 September before starting a course in September. Please note, you might have to pay for this GP check and getting your certificate and report could take up to 4 weeks.

Once completed, send the doctor's certificate and immunisation report by email to or by post to:

Occupational Health Department
Queen Alexandra Hospital
Southwick Hill Road
Cosham PO6 3LY
United Kingdom

You'll do a criminal record (disclosure and barring) check during your induction week. To do this check, you'll be required to bring some personal documents. Visit the Government's website for details of suitable documentation.

The final check we need to make if you're on a healthcare course is proof of your name and address for your disclosure and barring check. To do this, you should bring a student finance letter or utility bill from the last 3 months to your induction week.

You'll also need to give us details of your address history over the past 5 years including the full addresses, postcodes and the dates you lived at each address.

Occupational health checks to complete for Dental Academy

If you've been accepted to the Dental Academy, you'll need to do some specific occupational health checks.

Occupational health clearance:

During clinical practice on your course, you'll take part in exposure prone procedures (EPPs) which are invasive procedures. Because of this and the level of occupational health clearance you need, the Department of Health requires that you have tests and/or clearance for:

  • Hepatitis B & Hepatitis C
  • HIV (human immunodeficiency viruses)
  • Tuberculosis (TB)
  • Rubella
  • Measles
  • Mumps
  • Varicella

You'll get the opportunity to give your consent for these tests to take place through our Occupational Health Service if you haven't already had them. Due to the requirements by the Department of Health, you won't be able to register for a Dental Academy course at the University if you don't have clearance or give your consent to these tests.

You'll be asked to visit an occupational health nurse during your induction week and you'll be sent more details, including the date and time of your visit, closer to the appointment.

If you don't attend this appointment you won't get occupational health clearance and won't be able to register on your course. If you have questions about this, contact the Occupational Health Service on +44 (023) 9284 3187.

You'll need to download and complete our occupational health questionnaire as soon as possible (and no later than 4 weeks) after you receive your offer letter.

Make sure you attach details of your completed vaccination history including any childhood and travel vaccinations. You'll also need to provide a copy of any lab results for blood tests you've had. Only copies from a registered lab will be accepted.

Once you've filled out your section of the form, your registered GP will need to review your answers and complete their section. You should send the completed form to the University's Occupational Health Service by email, at, or by post to:

Occupational Health Service
University of Portsmouth
Nuffield Centre
St Michael's Road
Portsmouth PO1 2ED

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close