Music Computing BSc (Hons)
BSc Hons Music Computing
Sorry, this course has closed to new applicants. We're not updating the course information on this page – it's for reference only.
Do you have a thirst for musical creativity and a desire to work in fields like game audio or application development? There's currently a huge demand in the creative industries for graduates with sound and music programming skills – and our BSc (Hons) Music Computing degree course is the perfect first step towards an exciting career in this field.
One of only a few similar courses in the UK, you’ll develop sought-after technical knowledge and abilities in areas like sound design, audio programming and game development. You’ll also hone creative skills like musical composition, so you’ll improve as an artist as well as a professional.
What you'll experience
On this course you'll:
- Engage in a flexible course of study that allows you to focus your learning around the areas that interest you most, or will lead most directly to your ideal job
- Choose from options including: game audio, synthesis, live electronic music, virtual reality, console programming, mobile applications and more
- Increase your musical toolkit further by taking part in supporting events and societies around the university: from the choir to the university orchestra
You’ll also generate, record, transform and mix sound and music, using kit such as:
- A valve 32 channel TL Audio mixing desk
- An SSL Matrix 2 console with 10 Neve 1074 preamps and 16 channels of Neve and SSL dynamics and EQ
- A 7.1 surround studio (Genelac) including a Slate Raven multi-touch console for multichannel work and spatial audio projects
- Buchla System 7 synthesizer (one of only two in the UK, and the only one in a European university)
- Four Oakley Modular synthesizers
- iMac Dual i7 computers running: Logic Pro X, Pro Tools, Ableton Live, Max/MSP (including Max for Live), Native Instruments (Including Reaktor), Pure Data and Game engine software
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course.
We can help you to identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and freelancing opportunities that'll complement your studies and build your portfolio.
After your second year, you can do an optional work placement year to get valuable longer-term work experience in the industry.
Previous students have enjoyed placements in a number of exciting destinations like music venues, studios and post-production houses; such as working as an Audio Engineer at Drilling Systems.
In your placement year, you can also set up a business on your own or in a group, and we’ll help you secure a work placement that fits your aspirations. You’ll get mentoring and support throughout the year too.
Careers and opportunities
When you finish the course, our careers and employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry.This degree gives you the skill set to excel in a wide range of careers, including:
- music software development
- sound recording and production
- mobile music and sound application development
- sound effects development
- sound artists
- music and sound for games and multimedia
Other graduates have continued their studies at postgraduate level or set up successful businesses with help and support from the University.
And after you graduate, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
- JAMES (Joint Audio Media Education Support) accreditation - JAMES have assessed that this course meets industry needs
- Wwise Certified School - we’re licensed with Audiokinetic to teach and use Wwise audio software, and award Wwise certifications, making us one of only two Universities in the UK with this status
- Avid learning partner - we deliver training on Avid products and solutions, to Avid’s own exacting standard, giving you the opportunity to get Avid Protools certifications as part of your course
Sorry, this course has closed to new applicants.