Transition Scholarship image

Tuition fees and scholarships for EU residents

Tuition fees for EU students are changing due to Brexit, but our Transition Scholarship will help

Due to the UK leaving the European Union, changes are being made to the tuition fees that EU, EEA and Swiss nationals will pay to study in the UK. This page contains information about the fee changes and our EU Transition Scholarship.

If, after reading the information, you have further questions, please get in touch with us

New EU students starting in 2023/24

If you're an EU student starting a course in the academic year 2023/24, you’ll continue to be eligible for the same fees as UK students and for financial assistance under existing support arrangements. 

Existing EU students continuing a course into 2022/23

If you're an eligible student assessed as a 'UK or 'EU' fee-payer in the academic year 2022/23 or earlier, you’ll pay the same tuition fees throughout your course. You won’t see any changes to your loan eligibility. 

This is a result of UK Government guarantees. The guarantee applies for the full duration of enrolment on your course and it will apply regardless of what happens with Brexit.

New EU students starting in 2023/24 (excluding Republic of Ireland)

The UK Government has confirmed tuition fee and student loan arrangements for EU, EEA and Swiss students starting courses in the academic year 2023/2024 and beyond.

If you're an EU, EEA or Swiss national, starting a course in the academic year 2022/23 or later years, you will no longer be eligible for the same fees as UK students. You'll pay the same fees as an international student. A Transition Scholarship will be applied to your fees reducing them to the same amount as UK students. To be eligible for a Transition Scholarship you need to be a resident of the EU, EEA or Switzerland. You can find details of the fees for EU residents on our course pages.

You won't be eligible for undergraduate, postgraduate or advanced learner financial support or loans from Student Finance England. But you may be able to apply for other forms of financial support. 

What if I am part of the EU Settlement Scheme? 

Guidance regarding eligibility of EU students for 'Home' fee status for courses beginning from 2022/23 academic year can be found on the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website. We will be able to proceed in fees assessment once guidance becomes available from UKCISA. 

Current information suggests if you are an an EU, EEA or Swiss national and have been granted 'settled' status under the EU Settlement Scheme, you'll generally be eligible for home fee status, tuition fee and maintenance support if you have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for at least 3 years. For more details on eligibility and what support is available visit the Studying in the UK: guidance for EU students pages on the website. 

University of Portsmouth Transition Scholarships for European residents

In recognition of the ongoing uncertainty regarding Brexit, if you’re a student resident in the EU, EEA or Switzerland, and you join the University of Portsmouth in 2023/24 or 2024/25, you'll be eligible for a Transition Scholarship. The scholarship will apply to new undergraduate, postgraduate taught and postgraduate research students.

The scholarship will be applied to your fees throughout the length of your course. As a result, the actual fee you'll pay will be equivalent to the fee for UK students in 2022/23 and beyond. The scholarship will be set at different levels for different courses.

If you already meet the conditions to be classed as a UK student for fees and funding purposes, you won’t receive the scholarship. You’ll pay the same fees as UK students.

Terms and conditions

  • The scholarship is only available to students who join us in October 2021, February 2022, Autumn 2022, January 2023, September 2023 and January 2024..
  • You must be an EU, EEA or Swiss national and have been resident in the EU, EEA and Switzerland for a minimum of 3 years to be eligible for this scholarship. If you already meet the conditions to be classed as a UK student for tuition fees, you won't receive this scholarship. 
  • The scholarship is available to full-time students studying an undergraduate, postgraduate taught, postgraduate research degree on campus with annual fees of £15,500 or above (for 2022/23).
  • The scholarship is also available to students on a study abroad programme bringing tuition fees in line with UK students (£4,625 for one term, £9,250 for a full academic year).
  • The scholarship will take the form of a tuition fee reduction, resulting in the actual fee you pay being the equivalent to the fee of a UK student in the same academic year, effective at the time of registration and applied for the length of your course. 
  • The scholarship cannot be combined with any other scholarship, discount or fee offer, apart from the Alumni discount.
  • The discounted fee will be stated on your Confirmation of Acceptance for Study (CAS). This is the final document you receive when you have an unconditional offer to study at the University of Portsmouth and have paid your deposit. 

Tuition fee deposits 

If you are an EU, EEA, Swiss national starting a course from August 2021 you will need to pay a tuition fee deposit unless you are confirmed as 'Home' fee status. 

If you are a recipient of an educational loan from your government, this can meet the deposit requirement by emailing the evidence to

Find information about deposits and any other exemptions on our ‘Tuition fees for international students’ page.

Exemptions (including Republic of Ireland)

The changes in student fees and funding will not affect you if you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss national benefitting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement respectively. 

The changes will also not affect you if you're an Irish national living in the UK or Ireland. Your right to study and access benefits and services will be preserved on a reciprocal basis for UK and Irish nationals under the Common Travel Area arrangement

In general, you’ll continue to be required to meet the same criteria as UK nationals to be eligible for UK fees and funding.

Get in touch

  • If you have any questions about your immigration status please contact
  • For queries about tuition fee status please contact
  • For applicants with confirmed ‘Home’ (UK) fees status, if you have queries about your eligibility for student support funding, please contact the Student Finance Centre: