Important things to bring with you
What to pack (and what to leave at home!)
Make sure you have these documents in your hand luggage, just in case you need to show them at the airport:
- Your passport or national ID card
- Your visa (remember that you must not travel to the UK before the 'Valid from' date on it, and if you've previously held a visa for the UK, make sure you travel under the new one only)
- Your travel tickets
- Your Orientation Programme booking details
- Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) or offer letter
- All your original certificates and diplomas, as listed on your CAS or offer letter
- Your accommodation contract or letter if you have booked a place in halls of residence – or evidence that you have arranged accommodation at a private address in Portsmouth
- If needed, bring your Tuberculosis (TB) screening and chest X-ray – please check the UKVI website to check whether you need this
- Your emergency contact telephone numbers
- If you have a pre-existing medical condition, please bring any medication you require and copies of your medical notes to show your doctor when you register
The best advice we can give is to travel as light as you can, and bring no more luggage than you can carry yourself. A memento of home is important too, so make room for something small and personal.
Portsmouth has a temperate climate and rarely experiences extremes of temperature, but you will still need winter clothing. Be sure to pack a winter coat, hoodies and jumpers. You will also need gloves and hats, a scarf and umbrella.
Please don't bring any food or plants with you, as there are strict controls on bringing food, plants and plant products into Great Britain. Contact the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for guidelines and advice on this.
For more details on what to pack, our International Student Ambassadors have put together a video with some helpful suggestions.