As an international or EU student at Portsmouth, you can access many scholarships. Your eligibility for these scholarships varies depending on which course you're studying, where you're from and your academic achievement to date.
Here's a summary of the scholarships you can access.
Chevening is the UK Government’s international awards scheme aimed at developing global leaders.
Funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organisations, Chevening offers an opportunity for future leaders and influencers from all over the world to develop professionally and academically, network extensively, experience UK culture, and build lasting positive relationships with the UK.
These highly coveted scholarships are awarded to outstanding scholars with leadership potential. Awards are typically for a 1-year Master’s degree in any subject.
We've welcomed many Chevening scholars to Portsmouth over the years – could you be the next one?
How to apply
Applications for Chevening Scholarships and some Fellowships open in August 2018 for opportunities to study in the UK in 2019/2020.
Visit the Chevening website for more details.
The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) gives scholarships to students from the Commonwealth. These scholarships aim to attract outstanding talent to British universities and to combine sustainable development with the UK national interest.
Scholarships reward merit and promote equity, inclusion and access to education, especially to students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
How to apply
Visit the Commonwealth Scholarships website to find out which scholarships are open to you and for information about how to apply.
School of Earth and Environmental Sciences Scholarships
If you're a self-funded student from Nigeria or Ghana, and you want to study one of the courses listed below in our Faculty of Science, you'll automatically be considered for one of three scholarships, which will reduce your tuition fees by 40%.
- MSc Engineering Geology
- MSc Geological and Environmental Hazards
- MSc Environmental Geology and Contamination
- MSc Crisis and Disaster Management
- MSc Geographical Information Systems
- MSc Coastal and Marine Resource Management
This award can only be applied to the listed full-time courses on campus. You can't combine this scholarship with any other fee reduction or University bursary, with the exception of the 2% early payment discount, which is applied to the net value of the fee. You can work out your total tuition fees by using our tuition fee calculator.
- you're fully self-funded (the scholarship can not be combined with any external, government or corporate sponsorship)
- you're an international student with a Ghanaian or Nigerian passport
- you've accepted an offer on one of the above postgraduate courses
- you've achieved a minimum G.P.A 3.0/5 or a Second Class Upper in a relevant subject.
How to apply
To be considered for this scholarship, you should submit your application and accept your offer by 31 July 2019. The decision will be made based on your academic results, personal statement and references. If you're one of the three successful candidates, you'll be informed by 10 August 2019.
Get in touch with us for more information.
Faculty of Business and Law Postgraduate Scholarship
If you're a student from the European Union (EU) joining our Faculty of Business and Law on a full-time or part-time postgraduate course, you may be eligible for a 40% discount on your tuition fees.
You can apply to be considered for the scholarship if:
- you're fully self-funded
- you have UK or EU nationality
- you've been offered a place on a campus-based full or part-time 180 credit postgraduate course, excluding distance learning or 'top-up' courses
- you've achieved, or are predicted to achieve, a 2:1 from your undergraduate degree, or have significant, relevant managerial or professional work experience (if you're awarded a scholarship but don't achieve a 2:1 when you get your results, you won't be eligible)
- you haven't started your postgraduate course at the University of Portsmouth
You must apply for this scholarship before you start your course.
You can't combine this award with any other University discount or bursary, with the exception of the 2% early payment discount, which is applied to the net value of the fee.
How to apply
Contact Portsmouth Business School for details on how to apply.
PhD Scholarships for International and EU Students
These fully-funded 3-year scholarships cover annual tuition fees at an international (non-EEA) rate; an annual stipend in line with that offered by Research Councils UK of £14,777 per annum (2018/2019 rate); and one return flight to London during the duration of the course.
How to apply
SQA Advanced Diploma Scholarship
The Advanced Diploma Scholarship from the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) is worth £2,000 to £3,000. You can apply for this scholarship if you meet the following conditions:
- you're a Chinese mainland student
- you will graduate in 2019
- you've firmly accepted an unconditional or conditional offer with us
- you've achieved, or are predicted to achieve, a general Graded Unit of A (i.e. AAA or AA) with no subject grade below 60 from your academic studies or you have significant, relevant social practices experience, or managerial or professional work experience
- you've achieved English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0
- you haven't yet started your postgraduate course with us
You must apply for this scholarship before you start your course. Applications are open from 1 May 2019 - 15 June 2019.
If your application is successful, we’ll assess your application and grades against other applications to decide the scholarship amount you’ll be granted. Your scholarship amount will be automatically discounted from your tuition fee at the start of your course.
How to apply
Full details of the application process are on our Chinese website.
There are many other external scholarships from various sources you may be eligible for.
It's a good idea to do your own research to find out about scholarships that are available for students from your region, but we've listed a few below.
- Activia UK
- Adzuna Student of the Year Scholarship
- Aga Khan Foundation – International Scholarship Programme
- British Federation of Women Graduates Scholarship
- BUNAC Educational Scholarship Trust (BEST) Scholarships
- Council for At-Risk Academics (CARA)
- Colt Foundation Fellowships in Occupational/Environmental Health
- Cumberland Lodge Scholarships
- Display Wizard Graphic Design Award
- First Formations Business Scholarship
- Funds For Women Graduates
- Gordon Memorial College Trust Fund
- Institute of Engineering & Technology Scholarships
- Leverhulme Trust Charity Fund
- Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851
- Schlumberger Foundation – Faculty for the Future Programme
- Spotcap Fintech Fellowship
- St Matthias Trust Scholarship
- Wellcome Trust – Studentships in Science
- Windsor Fellowship and Bank of England Scholarship Programme