English Language Development
Our events and learning programmes will help you develop your knowledge of Academic English in friendly, accessible settings during your studies.
Before starting your degree course, you can also learn about academic English by taking a Pre-Sessional English course.
In-Sessional English (ISE)
Our In-Sessional English (ISE) programme is open to undergraduate students (BA, BSc) and postgraduate students (MA, MSc, PhD). ISE offers a range of short modules available in both teaching blocks.
Available modules include:
- Communicating ideas visually and verbally
- Developing an academic style: Advanced
- Developing an academic style: Introductory
- Developing an ear for English: Understanding pronunciation
- Developing critical reading skills
- Developing effective paragraphs for communicating your ideas clearly
- Developing language for presentation, seminar and group work
- Developing scientific language for presentation, seminar and group work
- From taking notes to writing assignments
- Improving your academic English for dissertation and final report writing
- Language for scientific report writing
- Using Business vocabulary
- Writing a postgraduate dissertation
Teaching is on-campus with some modules available online.
For more information and to register please visit the MyPort article hub and search for ISE.
Join us in Park Building Learning Resource Centre for cultural and language exchange activities.
1.00pm –2.00pm every Wednesday during term time. All students welcome.
Our social and cultural calendar
Our Global Office organises trips and parties throughout the year so you can visit other cities, meet English families and see our cultural landmarks. Search 'Global Office' in MyPort to see what events are coming up.