Give your students an educational holiday in England
Create your educational holiday programme with us, and offer your students English language and cultural study in the historic seaside city of Portsmouth.
Or offer a specialist workshop that combines English language study with Engineering, Health, Sports Science, Humanities, Business or Pharmacology.
Contact us on email@example.com to set up your summer school.
Why choose summer school in Portsmouth?
Sending your students to summer school with us means they'll:
- Study at one of the Top 21 universities in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2020) and a Top 150 young university (Times Higher Education University Rankings 2019).
- Explore UK culture, through learning sessions in the university, and through cultural excursions beyond our campus - supported by our dedicated cultural team, who work to make all students feel at home and enjoy their time with us.
- Study close to miles of beautiful beaches and parks, in a friendly university. Our location on England's south coast means we have warmer springs and summers – and milder winters – than the rest of the UK.
- Enjoy an environment where student satisfaction is high: our students are more satisfied with us than students at most other UK universities (National Student Survey, 2019).
- Study at a university whose teaching was ranked Gold by the UK Government's Teaching Excellence Framework – one of only four on the south coast to achieve a gold rating.
- Learn from the same team of English-language tutors who deliver our pre-sessional English course, accredited by the British Association of Lecturers in English for Academic Purposes (BALEAP).
How they'll spend their time
When your students arrive, they'll have a transfer from their London airport, and we'll return them at the end of their stay. In between, they'll learn what it's like to study in a UK university, and explore UK culture with day trips to local tourist hotspots like the Historic Dockyard, London, Windsor Castle and Oxford.
They'll spend time developing the skills to shine in seminars, debates and assessments. And they will have free time to explore Portsmouth – the UK's only island city.
We can deliver specialist summer schools, offering bespoke sessions to your students' needs, delivered by subject lecturers who will draw on their research and industry experience to deliver high-quality teaching in your chosen subject. Subjects available include:
- Sports Science
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to talk to us about developing a programme tailored to you.
A typical day
On a typical day, your students might spend the morning learning about how to present their case in a higher education debate or seminar, then take part in a workshop to improve their personal statements, before spending the afternoon in team games. Or maybe they'll learn about the casual language used outside the classroom, while discovering British cuisine. There's a day trip on each Wednesday - London and Windsor Castle are our current excursion plans.
Please note: This schedule is provided as indicative content. Some lessons may be adjusted where appropriate. Trips are subject to availability. If a trip can't run, a suitable replacement will be provided.
Student accommodation is included in the cost of your summer school.
Normally, students stay in one of our halls of residence. Each will enjoy a single room in a flat of five self-contained bedrooms, with a shared kitchen and bathroom. Each hall has a reception where staff will be able to help your students with any questions or issues that arise during their stay.
It's also possible to arrange rooms with host families, subject to availability.
To join one of our summer schools, students must:
- Have a student visitor visa (if from outside the EU)
- Be aged eighteen or over at the course start date
- Speak English to intermediate level
School of Languages and Applied Linguistics
University of Portsmouth