Scholarships and bursaries
You may be able to partly or fully fund the costs of your study with a bursary or scholarship. You can usually use these alongside student loans and you don't have to pay them back.
Whether you can get a scholarship or bursary depends on your circumstances. So they aren't available to everyone.
These are the scholarships and bursaries we currently offer to home (UK) students. You may also be eligible for some of these scholarships and bursaries if you have refugee status or you're seeking asylum.
If you're a postgraduate or international student, we also have information on postgraduate taught (Master's) scholarships and bursaries, funding a postgraduate research degree and scholarships for international students (including our Transition Scholarship for EU students).
- University of Portsmouth Bursary – £750 a year
- Care Leavers Bursary – £1,750 a year
- Stand Alone Bursary – £1,000 a year
- Young Carers Bursary – £500 a year
- Unite Scholarship – a free place in halls
- Greenwich Hospital Bursary – £3,000 a year
- Sport Scholarship
- NHS Learning Support Fund – at least £5,000 a year
- Best Begins Scholarship – £5,000
- Portsmouth Football Club Partnership Scholarship – £3,000 a year towards course fees
- Sanctuary Scholarship
- Sanctuary Language Bursary
You’ll get this bursary of £750 a year if you’re a full-time undergraduate student from England and your household income is less than £25,000 a year.
You can’t get this bursary if a sponsor (such as an employer or NHS organisation) is paying all or some of your tuition fees.
No need to apply
You don’t need to apply for this bursary. We’ll check if you’re eligible for it once you’ve applied to Student Finance England for income-based support and it has verified your household income.
On your Student Finance England application, you just need to make sure:
- you’ve said you'll be studying at the University of Portsmouth
- you (and your parents or partner) have given your consent to share your information with the University
If eligible, you’ll receive your bursary directly into your bank account in 3 instalments in December, February and May. If you’re not in attendance at the University at a certain date before the bursary is due to be paid, you won’t be eligible for that instalment.
You could get this £1,700 bursary if you're a full-time undergraduate or taught postgraduate UK student and one of the following applies:
- You've spent at least 13 weeks in care, some of which was during your teens, and you're leaving the care system in the 12 months before you start university
- You're a 'former relevant child pursuing education' – this usually means you've spent at least 13 weeks in care, some of which was during your teens, but may depend on your local authority
This bursary isn't based on your income. Recipients can also receive the University Bursary and if eligible, the Best Begins Scholarship.
How to apply
If you're unsure of your eligibility, we can check for you – contact us by email at email@example.com or phone us on 023 9284 3044.
If you're eligible, you may also be entitled to additional help and support for care leavers.
You won't be able to get this bursary alongside the Stand Alone Bursary or Young Carers Bursary.
You could get this bursary of £1,000 a year if you're a full-time undergraduate UK student aged under 25 and estranged from your parents. It isn't based on your income. Recipients can also receive the University Bursary.
How to apply
Contact our Student Finance Centre to find out if you’re eligible for this bursary. If you're eligible, we'll tell you how to apply.
You won't be able to get this bursary alongside the Care Leavers Bursary or the Young Carers Bursary.
You could get this bursary of £500 a year if all the following apply:
- you’re a full-time undergraduate UK student aged under 25
- you have caring responsibilities for a parent or family member (but not a dependent child)
- your family income is less than £25,000 a year
Recipients can also receive the University Bursary.
How to apply for the Young Carers Bursary
Contact our Student Finance Centre to apply for this bursary.
You won't be able to get this bursary alongside the Care Leavers Bursary or the Stand Alone Bursary.
This scholarship is awarded by the Unite Foundation and gives statutory Care Leavers or estranged students a free place in a Unite hall of residence for a maximum of 3 years.
You could get this scholarship if all the following apply to you:
- you’re a statutory Care Leaver or estranged from your family
- you're aged under 25 at the start of your course
- you have UK home fee status
- you're a full-time undergraduate student or hold a firm offer for a full-time undergraduate course from the University of Portsmouth
There are a limited number of these scholarships, so not everyone who's eligible will be successful.
You can get this scholarship alongside the Stand Alone Bursary or Care Leavers Bursary.
How to apply for the Unite Scholarship
Unite have put applications on hold for 2021/22 while they respond to Covid-19.
We expect them to re-open in January 2022 for 2022/23 applications but will keep you posted as things change.
If you require any additional information, please contact the Student Finance Centre.
You won't be able to get this scholarship on foundation, repeat or placement years.
This is a bursary of £3,000 a year to cover some of your living costs. You could get this bursary if all of the following apply to you:
- you’re a child of serving or retired Royal Navy or Royal Marine personnel, or you’re a retired member of the Naval Service who isn’t sponsored by the MOD
- you’re a full-time undergraduate UK student
- your household income is less than £40,000 a year
There are 3 bursaries available for University of Portsmouth students each year, so not everyone who’s eligible will get it.
How to apply for the Greenwich Hospital Bursary
To request an application form or find out more please contact the Student Finance Centre.
The application window for 2021/22 academic year will close November 2021.
The Sport Scholarship programme supports talented athletes to reach both their sporting and academic potential whilst they are at University.
If you're competing at a regional, national, or international level in your sport, you may be eligible to apply. The programme is open to all students, irrespective of nationality, year of study or academic course.
Around 20 talented student athletes are awarded a scholar package each year, worth between £2,000 and £6,000. Including strength and conditioning sessions, physio, sports massage, lifestyle and academic support.
How to apply for a Sport Scholarship
Applications open in January each year and are awarded at the start of the academic year in September.
For more details and to request an application form visit our sports pages.
From September 2020, new and continuing students on eligible nursing and allied health professional courses can get access funding from the extended NHS Learning Support Fund.
The funding is non-repayable and is in addition to any other support you are eligible for, including Government student loans.
The extended support package includes:
- Parental support – £2,000 per academic year
- Training grant – £5,000 per academic year
- Specialist subject payment (new students only) – £1,000 per academic year
- Regional incentive (new students only) – £1,000 per academic year
- Travel expenses and dual accommodation allowance – reimburse expenses
- Exceptional support fund – up to £3,000 per academic year
(Part-time students receive pro rata payments.)
You can get this bursary if you're eligible for funding from SFE, SFNI, SFW or SAAS and are studying an eligible course in England.
Eligible courses at the University of Portsmouth include:
- BSc (Hons) Dental Hygiene
- BSc (Hons) Dental Hygiene and Dental Therapy
- BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Radiography and Medical Imaging
- BN (Hons) Nursing (Adult)
- BN (Hons) Nursing (Mental Health)
- BSc (Hons) Operating Department Practice
- BSc (Hons) Paramedic Science
- MSc Physiotherapy (Pre-Registration)
The NHS Health Careers website has more information on eligibility criteria.
If you want confirmation of your eligibility or any additional information, please contact the Student Finance Centre.