Assemble your dream career with the luxury cosmetics Supply Chain team!
£3,000 a year towards your time at university plus work experience opportunities in Petersfield, Hampshire
Students from the Faculty of Technology are eligible for financial support, work experience and a mentoring opportunity.
If you live in Portsmouth or on the Isle of Wight, you are the first in your family to progress to higher education, and have a household income of less than £35,000, the Estée Lauder Companies’ Whitman Laboratories x UoP Scholarship could benefit your future!
This scholarship is awarded by The Estée Lauder Companies’ Whitman Laboratories to advance supply chain education and employment opportunities for students in the local community. It provides £3,000 a year towards your time at university, as well as the opportunity to gain work experience at the Whitman manufacturing site in Petersfield, Hampshire.
Who can apply?
You can apply for this scholarship if you:
- Live in Portsmouth, the surrounding area (PO postcode) or on the Isle of Wight
- Are studying toward a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths) degree
- And meet either of these criteria:
- You are the first in your family to go to university, or
- You have a household income of £35,000 or below
The scholarship is not open to international students. See our terms and conditions for full eligibility criteria.
How to apply?
You'll need to complete a brief application form to demonstrate how studying at the University of Portsmouth and being awarded this scholarship will make a difference to your future and why your situation merits the additional financial support.
Submit your application by midnight on Friday 15 September 2023.
How will the scholarship be awarded?
There is one scholarship available each year for one University of Portsmouth student from the Faculty of Technology. You'll need to meet the criteria and grade requirements for your chosen course in order to receive the scholarship.
The scholarship panel’s decision on the allocation of the scholarship is in accordance with the terms and conditions, and is final. There is no appeals process.
About the Estée Lauder Companies – Whitman:
Whitman Laboratories is one of The Estée Lauder Companies’ (ELC) manufacturing sites outside of the US, located in the Southeast of England. As a team, we manufacture around a fifth of ELC’s global sales output. We have had a manufacturing presence in the UK since 1969, and we have operated from the current site since 1982.
Principally a manufacturer of prestige skin care products, Whitman consistently strives to, exceed quality, productivity, and safety targets year after year.
Estée Lauder Companies is an equal opportunities employer. We positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status or pregnancy and maternity.
University of Portsmouth & The Estée Lauder Companies - Whitman Scholarship Terms & Conditions
The Estée Lauder Companies - Whitman Scholarship is a financial scholarship of £3,000 in one academic year as part of a full-time undergraduate taught-level study in 2023/24. It is available to students who are current students of the University of Portsmouth in 2023.
The following terms and conditions apply to the scholarship:
Terms and conditions
The financial scholarship is a £3,000 contribution fee payable in one academic year. It is open to students who meet all of the following criteria:
- Home address based in Portsmouth, the surrounding area (PO postcode) or the Isle of Wight
- They are studying toward a full-time undergraduate STEM-related degree
And meet either of these criteria:
- They are the first in your family to go to university, or:
- have a household income of £35,000 or below
There is one scholarship available, so student eligibility does not guarantee that a student will receive the award. Students will need to apply for the scholarship and successful applicants will be selected by a scholarship panel.
- Full-time campus-based STEM-related undergraduate courses, not including distance learning courses. Only students under the faculty of technology will be able to apply.
- Students awarded the scholarship will receive a £3,000 financial support scholarship in their next academic year of study.
- The successful scholar will receive £3,000 each year to contribute to their own running costs at university.
- Scholarship payments will not be made when students are on a sandwich placement year or a year abroad.
- The list of eligible courses is subject to approval, modifications, closure and suspensions.
- Applicants must also meet specific course entry criteria for their course.
- The scholarship recipient will maintain a minimum grade requirement equivalent to a 2:2 result (50% equivalent). The progression of the scholarship support for subsequent undergraduate academic studies will be dependent on the performance of the student.
- The household income is assessed using Student Finance England (SFE) criteria for 2022/23.
- Applicants will need to complete the scholarship application form in order to be considered.
- As part of scholarship application, students will need to provide a short statement demonstrating how studying at the University of Portsmouth and being awarded the Estée Lauder Companies - Whitman scholarship will prepare them for their future.
- Decisions on the award of the scholarship will be made by a scholarship panel made up of The Estée Lauder Companies – Whitman management in September 2023. Decisions will be based on the eligibility criteria, academic achievements, and the scholarship application.
- Applicants may be expected to complete an interview with The Estée Lauder Companies – Whitman management as part of the application process.
- The panel’s decision is final, and the panel shall not be obliged to provide reasons for their decisions.
- Applicants will not be notified if they are not successful in being awarded the scholarship.
- Successful applicants will be notified by the end of September 2023.
- The Scholarship will be available to one successful student on an eligible course.
- The Scholarship is subject to applicants at the University on an eligible Undergraduate course commencing in September 2023.
- Subject to Clause 3.2 being met satisfactorily, the successful student will be awarded the scholarship in subsequent undergraduate academic years whilst at the University of Portsmouth.
- Students who defer their place to September 2024 or later will not be eligible for the scholarship.
- Successful applicants will be required to ‘fully register’ onto their course to remain eligible for the scholarship. This entails completing the online registration form and providing original evidence of their personal identity within the first week of the start date of the course, and paying the residual balance of any fees. Any extension to become fully registered onto the course will need to be requested through the late registration process. If this does not happen students will become ineligible to receive the scholarship.
- Students who transfer to an ineligible full-time course will become ineligible for the scholarship. The tuition fee due for the remaining fee liability periods will be payable by the students.
- Applicants who receive the Estée Lauder Companies - Whitman Partnership Scholarship will not be eligible to receive other fee discounts but will still be entitled to apply for student loans, bursaries, and scholarships, subject to their eligibility.
- The University’s decision on the allocation of the scholarship in accordance with these terms and conditions is final. There is no appeals process.
- The successful student will be paired with a member of the Estée Lauder Companies – Whitman leadership team for a mentoring partnership. The Estée Lauder Companies - Whitman team will set up and facilitate the introduction of the two parties.
- The successful students provides consent to sharing name & image on internal and external media platforms of the University of Portsmouth and the Estee Lauder Companies.