Young woman sat on grass outside a historic building in Berlin, Germany

Visit Europe while you're here

What you need to know to travel in the EU as an international student

Coronavirus update

Due to current government regulations travel outside the UK may be restricted. The travel list is regularly updated. You should not travel to red list countries or territories.

Portsmouth has great links to lots of great European destinations, and we know that you might want to make the most of your time here by visiting other countries in Europe.

If you're from outside the European Union, and you want to travel inside the EU during your time in the UK, you'll need to apply for a Schengen Visa.

This scheme means you only need to apply for one visa to travel to any of the 26 participating European countries in one trip. To apply, you'll need to book an appointment with the relevant consulate to the country you are visiting.

  • If you're visiting only 1 country in the Schengen space, apply to the embassy of that country.
  • If you're visiting more than 1 of the 26 countries, apply to the embassy of whichever country you plan to spend the most time in during your trip.
  • If you're visiting several countries in the Schengen space without having a main destination, submit an application to the embassy of the country where you will first enter the Schengen space.

 Please note, most consulates will ask you to provide a travel itinerary and proof of funds.

You'll also need to take an authorised letter with you to your consulate appointment. You can request this here. We can provide this for you within 24 hours.

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close