A female student from Hong Kong smiling on Southsea common

Applying from Hong Kong?

Here's all the information you need to study with us

If you’re from Hong Kong and interested in studying in the UK, the University of Portsmouth is a great place to fulfil your ambitions. And if you’re ready to take the next step, we’re ready to help you get here.

On this page, you'll find information about where you can meet us in your region, what you need to do to apply for a course with us and contact details for our people in your area.

Entry requirements for students from Hong Kong

If you're joining us from Hong Kong, the entry requirements you need to meet will depend on the course you want to study.

When you join us, it’s important that you can speak and understand English to the level that your course requires. The specific English language requirements will be on your chosen course page.

We accept IELTS, IGCSE and several other certificates, but don’t worry if you're currently short of the standard required – we offer English Language Programmes that will get you to the necessary level.

If you hold the HKDSE Diploma, you can apply to study at the University of Portsmouth. The HKDSE Diploma is comparable with the UK A Level, so your application will be based on UCAS tariff point equivalency (including subject-specific requirements where appropriate). UCAS tariff point equivalency is outlined in the table below.

UCAS Tariff HKDSE Level A level equivalent
56 5** A*
52  5* A*
48 5 A


We accept HKDSE English in lieu of IELTS. You will need to achieve a minimum overall score of 4 with no component lower than 3 (equivalent to IELTS 6.0), although this may vary depending on your chosen course.

More information regarding the entry requirements for specific courses can be found on the courses page of our website.

If you do not meet the entry requirements, we recommend that you enrol on a Foundation course. Our Engineering foundation BEng (Hons) Engineering and Technology is delivered in our Faculty of Technology, whilst foundation programmes in all other subjects are held at our associated college International College Portsmouth (ICP).

If you don't have the HKDSE Diploma, you can apply with:

A Levels

  • Please check your specific course page to find the exact number of points needed. Your A level grades should equal or exceed the total points required. You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to work out your total points.
  • Some courses will require you to have studied specific subjects at A level. For example, to study a science course you will usually need to have achieved passing grades in scientific subjects at A level.
  • A level points: A* = 56 A = 48 B = 40 C = 32 D = 24.

International Baccalaureate

  • Most courses will require between 24 and 31 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB), depending on the degree you apply for.

You may be able to join an undergraduate course with other qualifications. We do consider qualifications from a range of sources. Contact us to find out more.

Advanced Entry

If you are currently studying or have graduated with Higher Diplomas or Associate Degrees from Community Colleges, you may be eligible for advanced entry onto our undergraduate courses. For more details please contact one of our local representatives in Hong Kong (listed below) or email internationaloffice.admissions@port.ac.uk.

Postgraduate courses

For entry to our postgraduate Master's programmes, you'll usually need to have a good Bachelor's degree with at least 2nd Class Honours, depending on the course you're applying for.

All applications are considered individually and certain courses may accept students onto a Masters programme with a lower level degree if they have relevant work experience. Please see our courses for more details.

If you don't meet the postgraduate entry requirements, you can do a pre-Master's programme at International College Portsmouth (ICP) for many of our courses.


We'll consider you for a PhD if you have a good Master’s degree and submit a research proposal.

English language requirements

When you join us, it’s important that you can speak and understand English to the level that your course requires. You can see which tests we recognise and specific English language requirements will be on your chosen course page.

We accept an overall score of 4 with a minimum of 3 in each component on the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE), IELTS, IGCSE and several other certificates, but don’t worry if you're currently short of the standard required – we offer English Language Programmes that will get you to the necessary level.

What to do next

Ready to start your adventure with us? Whether you know which degree course you want to do or not, get in touch with us now or meet us at an event near you to discuss your next steps.

Our Global Officers are experts in helping students from Hong Kong, like you, to apply to join us. Whatever you want to know, just ask.

TB Clearance Certificate

Students from Hong Kong and Macau hoping to study in the UK will need a TB Clearance Certificate before applying for the Tier 4 Student Visa. We recommend that you apply for this as soon as possible, to avoid delays with the visa application process. TB Clearance Certificates are issued by UKVI-approved clinics. Full information can be found on the UKVI website.

Representatives and agents

If you want to learn more about studying with us or you want help with your application, you can contact our South East Asia Office in Kuala Lumpur.

Alternatively, you can contact one of our official representatives in Hong Kong:

Agents in Hong Kong and Macau

AAS Education Consultancy

Room 1501
Grand Plaza Office Tower Two
625 Nathan Road
Hong Kong

Tel: (+852) 2323 3287
Email: enquiry@aas.com.hk

Website: aas.com.hk 

Dadi Overseas Studies Service Centre

Unit 702–703
700 Nathan Road
Hong Kong

Tel: (+852) 2314 8312
Fax: (+852) 2314–0767

Website: dadi.com.hk

Chamberlain Educational Service Centre

10 Pottinger Street

Tel: (+852) 3426 8000
Fax: (+852) 3426 8000
Email: connie@chamberlain-edu.com

Website: chamberlain-edu.com

Get Education Consultancy

Unit A
Harbour Commercial Building
122 Connaught Road Central
Sheung Wan
Hong Kong

Tel:(+852) 2730 7311
Email: hongkong@get.com.hk

Website: get.com.hk

LINKEDU Overseas Education

Chinachem Tower
34 - 37 Connaught Road Central
Hong Kong

Tel:(+852) 2157 3822
Email: admin@linkedu.hk

Website: linkedu.hk

Wai Shun International Education Centre

Room C
14/F Nathan Tower
518 Nathan Road
Hong Kong

Contact Person: Rebecca Wong
Tel: (+852) 2782 0900
Fax: (+852) 2771 2711
Email: rcnwong@netvigator.com

Website: wsiec.com.hk

Amber Education Hong Kong

Joy Lui

Unit 1417
Star House
No.3 Salisbury Road
Tsim Sha Tsui
Hong Kong

Tel: (+852) 2377 9115
Email: admin@amberedu.com.hk

Miss Cory Lee

Unit 1601, Tower 1
Grand Plaza
625 and 639 Nathan Road
Hong Kong

Tel:(+852) 2377 7880
Email: mongkok@amberedu.com.hk

Website: amberedu.com.hk

Academic Link Overseas Studies Centre

Rm 702
7/F Grandmark
10 Granville Road
Tsim Sha Tsui
Hong Kong

Contact person: Sing Wong
Tel: (+852) 3525 1318
Email: info@aca-link.com

Website: aca-link.com

Crown Education Centre

Unit 1,
5/F Parkes Commercial Centre
2-8 Parkes Street,
Hong Kong

Tel: (+852) 2185 6313 | (+852) 2185 6314
Email: alan@crownedu.net

Website: crownedu.net

HKIES Overseas Education Centre

Unit 1302–03
Pilkem Commercial Centre
8 Pilkem St
Hong Kong

Tel: (+852) 2264 8990
Email: jessie@hkies.com.hk

Website: hkies.com.hk

British United Education Services 

Wai Hing Building
148 Prince Edward Road West
Hong Kong

Tel: (+852) 3426 9976
Email: info@britishunited.net

Website: britishunited.net

Super Red Education and Training Centre

Unit 1104
Fourseas Building
208-212 Nathan Road
Hong Kong

Contact person: Connie Ku
Tel: (+852) 3105 2962
Fax: (+852) 3105 9819
Email: info@superred.com.hk

Website: superred.com.hk

Maple Overseas Education

Unit 1811
655 Nathan Road
Mong Kok, Kowloon
Hong Kong

Tel: (+852) 238 2108
Email: info@mapleedu.com.hk

Website: mapleedu.com.hk

AAS Education Consultancy

Room E-65
5/F Hin Lei Commercial Centre
16f Rua de Domingo

Tel: (+852) 2328 9074
Email: enquiry@aas.com.hk

Website: aas.com.hk

Aston Education

5th Floor, Office Plus @ Wanchai
303 Hennessy Road
Wan Chai
Hong Kong

Tel: (+852) 2866 9933
Fax: (+852) 2866 9880
Email: echan@astonhongkong.com

Website: astonhongkong.com


Room 2807
28th Floor
Harbour Centre
25 Harbour Road
Hong Kong

Tel: (+852) 2827 6362
Fax: (+852) 2827 9286
Email: info.hongkong@idp.com

Website: idp.com

Amber Education Hong Kong

Kay Yuen
Office Manager
Address: Room 1208
Tai Yau Building
181 Johnston Road
Hong Kong

Tel: (+852) 2377 7888
Email: wanchai@amberedu.com.hk

Website: amberedu.com.hk

Hong Kong Education Web

Room 901
Shanghai Industrial Investment Building
4862 Hennessy Road
Hong Kong

Tel: (+852) 2272 2800
Fax: (+852) 2272 2828
Email: ieu@education.com.hk

Website: education.com.hk

SI-UK Hong Kong

Room No. 801
On Hong Commercial Building
145 Hennessy Road
Wan Chai
Hong Kong

Tel: +852 2967 8009 | +852 2967 8199
Email: hongkong@studyin-uk.hk

Website: studyin-uk.hk

Events in Hong Kong

We don't have any current events planned in Hong Kong, but we do plan regular events so check back here often for more information.

You can also contact our staff for support, or speak to an agent in your region for more assistance.