Leave a gift in your will
By naming the University of Portsmouth in your will, you create a better world by supporting students, research or both. Only you can say how you will make a difference and what your legacy will be.
Your legacy gift to students facing financial hardship helps them participate in activities that enhance their education, employability and understanding of the world.
Your gift may provide:
- Hardship bursaries and maintenance grants for students affected by financial difficulties
- Full scholarships for students with potential but without the means to go to university
- Prizes to reward consistently high-achieving students
- Funding for PhD students tackling local and global problems
- Support for field trips and exchanges to expand students' understanding of the world
- Funding for travel to research conferences, exposing students to renowned academics and new ideas
Help a student get the best Portsmouth experience.
By donating to research, you pave the way for solutions to pressing local and global challenges. You have the ability to create a better future.
Your legacy gift will help to:
- Protect the environment by tackling plastic pollution, developing sustainable urban design and producing cheaper renewable energy. Find out more about our research into sustainability and the environment.
- Save lives through new treatments for health conditions such as cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy, asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Find out more about our research into health and wellbeing.
- Develop a fair and inclusive society by confronting human rights abuse and empowering women to stand up to violence. Find out more about our research into democratic citizenship.
- Tackle threats to citizens in the modern world by exploring issues from food safety to cyber security. Find out more about our research into security and risk.
- Find sustainable, cost-effective ways to navigate our increasingly complex world using new technologies in health informatics, energy and electronic engineering, and computing. Find out more about our research into future and emerging technologies.
Create a better future when you donate to research.
Notify us of your gift
Leaving a legacy gift is a transformative act of generosity. By letting us know you've decided to leave us a gift in your will, we can ensure that:
- We fully understand your wishes and can prepare for the use of your gift
- The intended use of your gift is within our power to fulfil
- We recognise your contribution, even if you would like it to remain anonymous
Your gift will be received with discretion, sincere thanks and appreciation. Your will is a private and personal matter and information you choose to share with us will be treated in the strictest confidence. We understand that your gift must have a lasting impact.
An intention to give is not legally binding but it does allow us to thank you properly and keep you up-to-date on areas of interest to you. Let us know you're planning on leaving us a gift in your will by contacting Senior Development Officer, Emma Deabill: firstname.lastname@example.org / +44 (0)23 9284 2706.
Update your existing will
If you already have a will and would like to include a legacy gift to the University of Portsmouth, you can do this easily using a codicil. A codicil is an instruction that confirms your existing will and adds to it. It's particularly appropriate if you would like to add a bequest.
It's important that you consult a solicitor or legal advisor who can tell you whether a codicil is appropriate for you. We cannot offer legal advice on will-making, or recommend solicitors or other professional will writers.
Other ways to donate
Donate to reduce the awarding gap and promote equal opportunities so Black students can succeed and thrive.
Give to the Portsmouth Futures Fund and help students with limited means to make the most of their time at university.