Leave a gift in your will
Legacy giving is a wonderful, transformative act of generosity and we take our responsibility to legacy donors very seriously. Any gift you choose to make will be received with discretion, sincere thanks and appreciation. More importantly, we understand that it must have a lasting impact.
The gift of opportunity
Your legacy gift to support students facing financial difficulties opens doors to learning enrichment and a brighter future.
Your gift can help provide:
- hardship bursaries and maintenance grants when financial difficulties affect student studies
- full scholarships for students with the potential but not the means to attend university otherwise
- prizes to reward consistently high-achieving students
- funding for PhD students doing the hard yards to tackle local and global problems
- field trips and exchanges to expand students' understanding of different cultures, broadening their language skills and building their confidence
- travel to research conferences, exposing students to renowned academics, along with robust discussion and debate
The gift of positive change
Leaving a gift in your will to support research means you will help find solutions to the pressing local and global challenges. Through Portsmouth researchers, you'll tackle big problems. Problems like plastic pollution, respiratory health decline and data security breaches. You'll be creating a future that is better than today, for the sake of future generations.
78% of Portsmouth research was rated as world-leading or internationally excellent in the Research Excellence Framework 2014. It sits within five key themes:
Recognising your gift
We're always delighted to hear when someone has left a gift to support students or research at the University of Portsmouth. We appreciate that a will is a private and personal matter and any information you choose to share with us will be treated in the strictest confidence. What you share is not legally binding but it does allow us to properly thank you and to keep you up-to-date on areas of interest to you.
Connecting with us ensures that:
- We fully understand your wishes and can prepare for the use of your gift
- The intended use of your gift is within our power to fulfil
- We recognise your contribution, even if you would like it to remain anonymous
Updating an existing will
If you already have a will, but would like to include a legacy gift to the University of Portsmouth, this can be done easily using a codicil. A codicil is an instruction that confirms your existing will and adds to it. It is particularly appropriate if you would like to add a bequest.
It is important that you consult a solicitor or legal advisor who can tell you whether a codicil is appropriate for you. The University of Portsmouth cannot offer any legal advice on will-making, or endorse solicitors or other professional will writers.