As a Portsmouth graduate you could be eligible for a 20% tuition fee discount on most of our postgraduate courses, both Master’s and Research degrees.
There’s no need to apply, if you and your course are eligible, the discount will be applied automatically.
The discount can be applied to multiple courses. If you progress to a Master’s and then a PhD, you’ll receive a 20% discount on both your postgraduate degrees, at the point when you accept your offer.
Is your course eligible for the Alumni Discount?
The courses below are excluded as they qualify for government funding. You can find out if you’re eligible for the Alumni Discount by checking that your course isn’t in the list.
- PGCE 11–16 Computer Science
- PGCE 11–16 English
- PGCE 11–16 Geography
- PGCE 11–16 Mathematics
- PGCE 11–16 Modern Foreign Languages
- PGCE 11–16 Biology
- PGCE 11–16 Chemistry
- PGCE 11–16 Physics
- PGCE Further Education and Teacher Training
- PGCE Primary Education
- MArch Architecture
- MEng Civil Engineering
- MEng Computer Science
- MEng Electronic Engineering
- MEng Mechanical Engineering
- MEng Renewable Engineering
- MMath Mathematics
- MPharm Pharmacy
- MPhys Physics
- MPhys Physics, Astrophysics and Cosmology
- MSc Physiotherapy (Pre-registration)* from 2023/24 onwards
The Alumni Tuition Fee Discount is not available if you’re progressing from the following awards:
- Master’s Top-Up
- Foundation degrees
How to qualify for the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount
- Both you, and the full or part-time course you wish to study must be eligible. You need to have gained a Bachelor's, Master’s, Integrated Master’s, LLB or PGCE* degree, from the University of Portsmouth or a collaborative institution.
- The degree you want the discount to be applied to needs to be of a higher level than the course you’re progressing from.
- You must be paying your own fees. If you’re part sponsored, the discount will apply to the self-paying part only.
- You can’t accept any other University Bursary or Scholarship.
If you meet all of these criteria, this discount will be applied automatically.
*You need to have studied both an undergraduate degree and a PGCE at Portsmouth.
For more information, please refer to our Tuition Fee Discounts policy.
I received a 20% alumni discount from the University of Portsmouth when I joined the PhD programme after finishing my MSc at the university.
I used the saved funds from the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount to sign up for sports clubs and the gym, buy self-development books, and invest in my hobbies.
This directly improved my overall wellbeing and how I perform academically, and introduced me to a lot of opportunities to become a better version of myself, both physically and psychologically.