Level the playing field for all students
Help care leavers and estranged students to thrive at Portsmouth
For many students university is a challenge – and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Challenge, for the right reasons, is what uni is all about.
For some students, though, challenge comes in the form of hardship. Portsmouth is a place of wonderful diversity, committed to ensuring a transformative learning experience for students from all backgrounds, regardless of means. A good number of our students are leaving care or are estranged from their families. They set off on their learning journey completely alone. For some, just getting this far is extraordinary.
How you can support Portsmouth students
With your help estranged students, care leavers and care experienced students who are without family support will have access to:
- financial assistance to cover essential items and moving expenses when they start, and throughout their programmes
- emergency funding for rent and other essentials in crisis situations, including when estrangement happens during their time at University
- access to support initiatives and learning enrichment opportunities like summer schools, sport club memberships and counselling
- help to attend Graduation and job interviews towards the end of their course
- help going into the 2nd year of their course, a key point when many drop out as they cannot afford to carry on
Whether it’s a single contribution or a regular, ongoing donation, rest assured we’ll keep you informed on how your gift is used and, most importantly, the impact you, together with other contributors, are having on the lives of students.
Being estranged, it was particularly hard seeing friends go home to be with their families and not having a home to go to, university has become a home somewhere I finally have my own space and all my belongings are unpacked, instead of in suitcases around different friends houses.
Read about the other types of support the University offers for care leavers and estranged students including designated finance and wellbeing advisors, and bursaries.
Other ways to donate
Support our students
Give to the Portsmouth Futures Fund and help students with limited means to make the most of their time at university
Scholarship and support fund for black students
Donate to reduce the awarding gap and promote equal opportunities so Black students can succeed and thrive
Leave a gift in your will
A gift in your will is your commitment to creating a better world