Happy man looking at his phone

Here to support you

Find the answer you’re looking for or get in touch

You'll always get support from the alumni team.

Below are answers to frequently asked questions about replacing degree parchments, transcripts and academic verifications, obtaining personal references and contacting your alumni peers.

As more frequently answered questions arise, we'll update this section with relevant information.

Do you need additional support or have another question?

We welcome all emails from alumni. Email us at alumni@port.ac.uk and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Award certificate

A coloured certificate showing your name, award title, classification and date of the award. Award classifications include first, upper second, lower second, third, merit and distinction.

Replacement certificates

If your original certificate is lost or damaged, we can replace it for a fee.

Replacements cost £35 for one parchment and £10 for each additional certificate of the same award ordered at the same time. The cost is inclusive of VAT and postage.

If you apply for a replacement parchment on behalf of someone else, you need written permission from the award holder.

Request a replacement certificate

Certified copies of original award parchments

You may need to provide a certified copy of your award parchment to companies like educational institutions or governments authorities. This is different to a replacement parchment.

To request a certified copy of your parchment, send a scanned copy of your original parchment to academicverifications@port.ac.uk with a postal address so we can deliver your copy.

Once we receive your parchment we'll check your award and stamp and certify the copy before returning it to you. This service is free of charge.

Credential Evaluation

If you are looking to find out your degree equivalency for further study or employment in the United States or Canada, you will most likely need to get a credential evaluation report. There are a number of organisations that offer this service and you can find a list of organisations here.

World Education Services (WES)

World Education Services (WES) offer a credential evaluation service and you can find more information about the required documents here. Please send scanned copies of the original documents required by WES to academicverifications@port.ac.uk along with your WES reference number. Once we receive your documents we'll check your award and stamp and certify the copy before we upload it to the secure WES portal (please see the diagram below for how this works).

Secure File Transfer Protocol flowchart

Apostille certificates

If you're an overseas student or a graduate wanting to live or work abroad you may need an Apostille certificate in addition to your parchment. Details on how to do this can be found on the Foreign and Commonwealth website. You will need to appoint a solicitor to legalise the documents on your behalf.

Visit the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website



Your transcript lists the modules you passed during your studies, and the mark and credit level for each module.

Replacement transcript

If your original transcript is lost or damaged, your department can replace it for a fee.

Replacements cost £35 for one transcript and £10 for each additional transcript ordered at the same time. This cost includes postage by Royal Mail Recorded delivery.

You can order a maximum of six transcripts at once.

Complete the replacement transcript form on the online store to request a new transcript.

Request a replacement transcript

Personal reference

If you're looking for a personal or character reference from an academic, please email myport@port.ac.uk who will forward your request to the relevant member of staff to see whether this can be arranged. 

Verification of award documents

There are a number of different verification services available. Please read the information below to decide which best fits your needs. 

Letter of Academic Verification

You can get a letter of verification which acts as proof of your award for free. A letter of verification is different to a replacement parchment/transcript. The letter will be sent to you via email and will include information such as your award data and study dates. For details about your units you'll need a replacement transcript.

Request a Letter of Verification

Looking for fellow alumni?

Our lives often lead us far the places we once called home, the social groups we once surrounded ourselves with and individuals who were so important to our university experience.

If you're looking for fellow alumni you may have lost contact with, we may be able to help you. We can't share individual details due to privacy regulations, but we may be able to contact alumni on your behalf, or put out a call out on social media.

Please email alumni@port.ac.uk with your enquiry, including individual names, courses studied, approximate dates and any other relevant information,. We'll see what we can do to help.

Looking for advice on reunions?

Explore our events page for more information.

Want to share your journey since Graduation?

Do you have a story to share, a success to celebrate or simply want to provide feedback about your university experience?

Get in touch with the team by emailing alumni@port.ac.uk to submit your career profile.

Let's stay in touch

Keep your details up to date so you don't miss out on alumni events, reunions and news.

You can also contact us by email at alumni@port.ac.uk or call us on +44 (0)23 9284 2705.

We'd love to hear from you.